navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Wee Sailors
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Wee Sailors Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa

0 posted 2005-05-26 05:35 PM

Wee Sailors
I'll tell you a tale of a wonderful lad, well known to his shipmates as Pee Wee The Pirate.  Wasn’t his fault when the wind would blow... and... there he'd go.  

"Stay...in..the ship...that you be" Captain Big Boots said, as he ordered the sailors to muster in the sails.

Didn't matter much if that little one would drown.  But every time one shipmate would call, "Man overboard!" All would scurry for a rope and rescue who eve r that might be, with a heave ho.

"He's a skinny lad...and not much good...be he." The captain told the crew.  "I know all of you be tired of pulling-um in when he going for the briny deeps...But who knows maybe next time it might just be me." Trying to cool off the crew with their rope burned hands. "Now... muster your strength there's a storm coming in... I'll need every man...and yes even Mr. Pee Wee."

The first mate screamed, "We'll mutiny! For just as sure... we'll have to pull him in...all be swept to the briny deep...that...be...where we'll be..."

The crew pulled their knifes bent their legs. Like hungry wolfs one and all. Mr. Big Boots held his ground for he was captain and that's what he wanted to be.

Then Captain Big Boots says "We'll put him in the crows nest...safe...there he'll be."

With the little one under arm, one seaman climbed that ominous pole where he firmly placed that sailor known to one all. . as. .  Pee Wee.  It was only just then when that seaman hit the deck, did that storm really come in.

"You keep a close eye out for rocks...for it's a reef...this storm has blown us in. " The captain cried  "Do you hear me Mr. Pee Wee?" as he looked... there way up to try...to see.  Not a head or nothing did he see.

"I fear we're surely in for that briny deep" Cried the first mate, "If-in we're to depend on that which be as small as he."

The captain looking around said, "One of you...who is braver then me...climb there to...and throw that little one in...to the depths...he's no good for man or crew."

It was until that brave seaman reached for Mr. Pee Wee when the ship hit that reef, sending the bravest one to the mighty deep.  One or all could not save him from that fall.  

When the waves pushed the ship...she spit right down the hull... with all the crew hanging, the deck was only left...it looked to be the end of them all. With every salty wake another would meet his faith, one and all would have their turn.

A small voice screamed, "Take the rope" as it sailed from the nest...high upon a jagged rock...high above the reef.  It was to all...a relief...when that little guy...give the...heave ho...and saved them all from that briny deep.  But when that storm was no more...not a gale wind did blow...there floated two seamen's boots.  From their size...each knew...the sailor.  That leader who use to be...the one...who ordered...the smallest of them all to that briny deep.

© 1999 Merlyn Hearn

© Copyright 2005 merlynh - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2005-05-26 07:18 PM

Applause!!!  There's just something inviting about this-never a dull moment and a lesson to be learned.  Loved the sailor talk!  The dialog put me in mind of Kipling's Gunga Din
for some odd reason. (It was my favorite poem of those my dad would recite to us as children.)  

Encore!  Encore!

miscellanea (cathy)

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
2 posted 2005-05-27 04:59 PM

It’s not an easy thing to do when the salt air is blowing under your boots and pushing you off the deck.  It’s all you can do to fit the main sail and not put a rope around your own neck.  With pen in hand, in this case fingers on the keys, it came out all at once, it was the ending that worked it’s self. It was this and it was that until it made sense.  Not caring where me words were or if-in I was up to it.  Myself can not tell you how many tries I took until convinced.  Better leave it alone or I’d end up like Captain Boots.  If small be cute, then this be the one.
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2005-05-27 08:37 PM

Aye!  Leave be the wee sailor as 'e is!

Much enjoyed.  Sure hope others find this treasure before the ship sails too far.

miscellanea

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
4 posted 2005-06-22 12:09 PM

Excellent story and very poetically written!
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2005-06-22 09:22 PM

Yupper Merlyn a fun read. thanks.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Wee Sailors

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary