navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Road Rage Solution
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Road Rage Solution Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2005-04-30 08:09 PM

Road Rage Solution
By Larry Chadwick

If our actions are visible expressions of our character then it seems we should all park our cars. I suppose this applies more to the city folk than those in the country. Freeways, it seems, bring out the worst in us. I did not really notice an aggressive attitude in my driving when I was in a standard size car. But then we bought a large SUV and suddenly I appeared to have issues. Maybe I should sell it.

The biggest challenge I have on the freeway though is still the other drivers. I am bothered particularly when I am riding my large Roadstar motorcycle. You know the cruiser style bike with leather bags and a windshield. Suddenly it appears that everybody covets the space I take on the freeway. I quit counting after a dozen incidents of people changing lanes into the spot I am in. The first two times I gave up my position out of fear that I would be run over. Now I know to make sure I am beside the driver’s door and I refuse to change lanes. Well, generally.

Not only that, people just show a general lack of respect. They tailgate as if I enjoy the potential that I could be their next speed bump. I do not tolerate that anymore either. And of course plenty of people are willing to cut me off with their lane changes because they know they are bigger than me anyway.

Years ago my barber told me of a story where a biker got off his bike at a red light and busted out the windshield of the car behind him. Without knowing the facts my barber was sure the biker was justified. I was puzzled by that attitude at the time but the mystery has finally been cleared up for me.

So I am willing to park my SUV because of attitude issues on the road just so long as all the other drivers with attitude problems park their vehicles too. Besides it would be a lot safer on my motorcycle that way.

April 30, 2005

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2005 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2005-04-30 09:30 PM

it freaks me out the way some people drive around people on motorcycles. They don't give them enough room, and that scares the heck out of me. I give them more room than I do another car.
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
2 posted 2005-05-03 06:45 AM

I think maybe you should go buy a nice ten passenger van, or a Hummer maybe - the bigger the better! You'd probably have to park a lot, and sure you'd go broke paying for the gas, but you wouldn't have to worry about losing in an accident!

You'd better be safe out there, Mister. No more spills allowed.

Glad I got to read you... Great write! Hope all is well for you Take care!

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
3 posted 2005-05-03 02:06 PM

I have always said that everyone's control issues come out while driving...

the drivers that must be ahead of everyone...
the drivers that demand you let them go by following 2" from your rear...
the ones that demand you submit your lane to them...
the ones that pull out in front of you, making you brake....

it goes on and on...

and we learn to drive the same..

my driving was far more aggressive when I lived in NY and CA.  

Now I just play defense.... *sigh*

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2005-05-05 08:31 PM

Susan,
Yup it is strange. And it happened again today. But it is an andrenilan rush for sure and satisfying to watch them freak out as they jerk back to their own space. Risky at best though.

Alyssa,
It's always nice to have you on my side. Thanks. And I am very cautious with few exceptions. And thank you for caring.

Susan,
And, of course, defense is the best position on the road. It's your best chance at avoiding road rage. Well that and avoiding eye contact. And it would be amazing to see how long that list would be if completed. Thanks.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2005-05-05 09:33 PM

Ok, Larry, you have convinced me. I will take off my "If You Don't Like the Way I Drive, Stay Off the Sidewalk" bumper sticker
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2005-05-06 11:08 AM

Michael!
No way...don't back down now.

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

7 posted 2005-05-10 05:56 PM

A sad condition we have all come to know Larry.  Very well written sweetie.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2005-05-12 07:27 PM

Donna,
Thank you dear lady.

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
9 posted 2005-05-27 06:05 PM

Ah yes, I be having the same situation happening.  It was one day just this week; with a glance of the eye I noticed a large truck trying to crawl up me tail pipe.  Now I try to get to the side of the road, and let him go, with any luck he’ll find someone without brake lights.  Then they’ll be more than bump; don’t you know. Then again there’s always the option of putting it in neutral and letting him push me down the road.  You know; another way of saving gas.  But I don’t believe this could be his intention with his foot giving the petal a push.  What scares me most is when it be a semi truck with a load.  Anymore I just let-um go. Set back and watch the show.  Talking of such reminds me of a car who keep coming up next to me at the stop years ago.  Him watching the red go to yellow so as to make a jump.  Me figuring he didn’t have much since; I’ll just hold her back; just in case; start off slow. As sure the thought came to my head he jumped a light.  Like a cat he was until a bulldozer ran the yellow and it was the end to his act.  What with what was going on I figured it was the end of the show and I moved on down the road. Figuring I’d get to where I was going before he did, not slowing down to think I should have stopped and thanked him for the entertainment.  They all get it in the end, don’t you know.  Ones’ with no driving sense.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2005-05-27 07:06 PM

Merlyn,
Thank you. And it seems to be a daily battle. But then again we can't gain patience if it isn't tested.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
11 posted 2005-05-27 07:17 PM

Larry...please be careful!!  
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
12 posted 2005-05-31 12:43 PM

Martie,
Thank you for caring. It is amazing how much your driving style changes as you learn, especially after going down. Keeping the rubber down is more important than getting anywhere quick.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Road Rage Solution

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary