navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » m e a n d e r i n g
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic m e a n d e r i n g Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium

0 posted 2005-03-15 11:11 AM

I braced myself for the loud noise of silence while my fingers tapped an absent beat. I lay down on the ground: face-up, looking yearningly at a starless sky whose nothingness became the background chorus of silent cinema filled with spectacular melodrama.

When silence beckons
take notice, my friend
for intermingled
amid all noises,
they provide useful
moments of quietude.

As my eyes closed to rest a blink, I travelled to the edge of land and sea. There, in the roar of time, tides thrust themselves against the might of rocks; thrashing furiously. An act of irrepressible rage versus resolute fortitude in a fight of who gives in; first.

That’s the way it is, just the way it is! A contest of victors and losers, both good and bad.

Life, as it sometimes is, is encapsulated in the sprightly steps of a ballet dancer who competes with silence in a way no one else understands – trying inconspicuously to hear the silent notes in the accompanied music.

She knows.

If she misses her step by a fraction, she would miss a silent note and a silent note missed brings the destruction of symphony and sound, in his ugly presence, will have won against the measure of her timeless grace.

She knows it too well. She can forget to breathe. Her heart can beat faster or slower, but she can’t be late or early in her appointment with the silent note.

Speak easy and clear:
whisper, if you must
but maintain your poise
it’s not triumph that
you seek to achieve --
but voices to flee

The grains of sand, they show the tenacity of collecting themselves at the lower half of the hourglass – effortlessly, never rushed and always on time, synchronised. Sad beasts they must be, if they can’t spend a moment to admire the freedom outside their designated roles. Isn’t it ironic that hourglasses, and all other timepieces, are created with precision engineering of the highest quality yet lacking appreciation of quality itself?

A penny for every thought and a pound for the pause in-between.

So how does the proverb go? Penny wise, pound foolish.

And while one chews on this: is a second the time between two ticks or is each tick a second.

She knows. Do we?

Excuse me for a while while my serpentine mind meanders.

© Copyright 2005 Sudhir Iyer - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2005-03-15 12:49 PM

Sudhir,

I found your prose to be full of wisdom and written with expertise.  Too often we forget to take time to digest the wonders around us.  At least, I know I forget...

You might enjoy one I wrote in regards to something my dad always tried to teach us, to find the dark room within for clearing one's thought.  The philosophy behind it is similar to yours, but the tone is quite a bit different.  Hope you enjoy.  

Yours is a prose to read again!

miscellanea
/pip/Forum15/HTML/002208.html

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2005-03-15 06:52 PM

I always find myself feeling better after reading anything of yours.

You have tranquility and wisdom m'friend.

I wish I had some of your brand of serenity!

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
3 posted 2005-03-17 09:07 AM

I thank you for your words of kind appreciation ...

Regards
Sudhir

sweetcollege_girl
since 1999-12-03
Posts 872
just about where I want to be
4 posted 2005-03-27 09:36 PM

As always sudhir, you have left me feeling speechless...beautiful. Loved it.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » m e a n d e r i n g

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary