navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Erudition Of The Soul: The Beating
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Erudition Of The Soul: The Beating Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JoshG
since 2004-11-16
Posts 127
TX, USA

0 posted 2004-11-18 09:07 PM

Smack
It’s my fault
Smack
He’s only done it twice
Smack
But he really loves me
Smack
Its ok he never beats our son
Smack
I can get a second job to cover the medical bills
Smack
He was just drunk
Smack
I can’t leave!!! I can’t let my son not have a dad!!! Not like I was raised!!!  He will have so many problems!!!
Smack
It hurts so much!!! What will I tell our friends?
Smack
I can’t take much more of this
Smack
I will leave if he does it again, I promise
Smack
… (Silence)
“Get up you stupid bitch!!!”
(Shaking her) “Come on quit being such a stupid slut”
(The son walks in) “Get out of here we are just arguing”
(Son) “She is not moving”
(Dad) “She is just tired go to your room”
(Son) “No”
(Dad) “Fine”
Smack
“What did I do”?
Smack
“Stop please”
Smack
“I can’t move my legs”
Smack
“I can feel anything”
Smack
“I … I … I'm sorry!!!”
Smack
… (Silence)

The saying goes, “First time your fault, second time my fault.”  The power of denial cost her life and her son’s life.  Excuses filled with good intentions brought no relief to the beaten mother and son.  Her hopes that the beatings would eventually stop were eyes blinded by the powerful hands of denial.  She could take the beatings as long as her son was ok.  Hmmm… makes you wonder what she would have done if she could have seen into the future.  Maybe she wouldn’t have denied herself to death and included her son in the misfortune.  

We all have a choice.  We are all responsible for where we are in our lives.  If someone is treating you wrong it’s because you have allowed him or her to.  If you are not getting what you need out of a relationship and still remain in the relationship it is your fault.  Don’t wait for the other person to change for you, because 10 out of 10 times you will lose.  When you are beaten down enough and you look up at your life from the ground don’t blame the beater.  You had the signs, the warnings were there, they were evident in the actions lived out through unmet needs from the unable beater.  Don’t get me wrong; I am not saying that the physical or emotional beatings were justified because you stuck around for round two.  I am saying that you are as much at fault for the second round as the other person is.  

Don’t let this be your story; just because it might not end in death it still can cause emotional apathy.  Subjecting yourself to situations that are unhealthy and require you to deny the truth of the situation is tragic.  Choose not to join the club of the beaten and the bitter, once your down on the ground getting back up is a lot harder.  

“Live to love, love the life that produces eternal perspective, hope, joy, peace, and life!!!  In the end only you are to blame for ‘what you did not get out of life!’ Have no regrets!!!”

© Copyright 2004 Joshua Gordon - All Rights Reserved
NightFall
since 2004-01-28
Posts 88
The land known as England
1 posted 2004-11-22 02:35 PM

Harsh but true, so true. Well written, one would think you had written it from personal experience, well done.
Love NightFall
i'll look out for your name.

"My only love sprung from my only hate to early seen unkown and known to late" Romeo and juliet- William shakespere.

JoshG
since 2004-11-16
Posts 127
TX, USA
2 posted 2004-11-23 01:26 AM

Thanks for the response.  I have about 10 pieces out now in various sections of PiP... Thanks again

Joshua

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-11-24 11:06 PM

Josh,
   This was quite an attention getter!   What a deep message!  I enjoyed reading this.  Nice job of writing such a difficult subject.
              miscellanea

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2005-04-19 02:36 PM

it's been a long time for me now...but this, is exactly why I left my first -and I choke on calling him this cause I never really considered him to have been one- husband. This sure is an excellent reminder of why I left.
Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
5 posted 2005-04-19 04:44 PM

Your right, it is my fault. And I feel like ****  for even staying with him and putting my son through the stuff that he did. I have a daughter with him and it's a shame she will be the only one to suffer in all of this.
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2005-04-19 07:00 PM

C9-If he's abusive to you, there are laws to protect you and your kids...they don't have to be around him...biologics don't mean much when they can't control their anger...
JoshG
since 2004-11-16
Posts 127
TX, USA
7 posted 2005-04-20 04:00 PM

This was not a personal experience I had or even one of a close friend or family.  I was really trying to find a point to the power of denial.

I appreciate the reads, but if anyone can relate to this piece or any of my other dark poetry I have a soft spot in my heart for you.  I wrote a series of works over a two year period that had to do with self help and overcoming adversity.  I was young and immature when I wrote these, still am, but if they help my anyone its meaningful to me.

I also enjoy conversations about life and lessons learned.  The value of your experiences can be invaluable to another who is willing to listen.

Josh
AIM - res0m50r
Yahoo -res0m50r
MSN - res0m50r
res0m50r@comcast.net

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
8 posted 2005-04-20 07:28 PM

SEA- I took those steps before writing that response.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Erudition Of The Soul: The Beating

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary