navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Some Wear Capes, Others a Shadow
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Some Wear Capes, Others a Shadow Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2004-11-04 11:28 AM

"Depart!"
Sun at zenith,
Shadow for a moment lose.

“Off-with-the-shadow!” he calls,
  “El-e-vate shadow beneath my shoes!”

In earlier days, one could hear them mock, “He’s afraid of his own shadow.”  I tell you, no longer does he fear the darkness, but rather seeks to engulf it.    

But why not be afraid of our shadow?   After all, it has been with us through the subtlest deception and the most gut wrenching pain.   If we’re going to be frightened of something that can harm, perhaps we should first look about ourselves and condense those fears under our own feet.   Perhaps, stomp them out?  

He did it totally differently, in a silent mode, reeling the darkness under his sole.  Within the slight moment when the sun was directly overhead, he challenged his silhouette to wick the darkness from beneath his feet to the lobby of his mind’s eye.  It slowly seeped into his body, reaching upward until it came to a small room.   The enclosure had been so cluttered with pictures, information, and problems that the shadow had to tarry outside until the chamber dissolved into pure emptiness.   When not a speck of light or vision could filter in, Shadow entered, sprawling out in perfect extension, voiding any stipple of space where a thought, otherwise, could enter.   He became soused in black’s clarity, taller than before, as if truly elevated in his shoes and spiritual pause.   Sensory momentum finally had taken rest.  

Soon, the sun followed its ritual, leaving its zenith.  Shadow had no choice but to descend and flatten. From cell to cell and through his sole, Dark became grounded and fearless, leaving behind a clean slate of mind.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                                                   ~ miscellanea ~

To be less of shadow and all alone
Tests the blood and marrow of ones bone.
Heroes find the room within and
Darken walls to light atone.

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (11-05-2004 01:10 AM).]

© Copyright 2004 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
1 posted 2004-11-05 11:18 PM

Unbelievable!  Excellent!
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-11-06 03:37 PM

Well your sister is a little biased! Unbelievable! Excellent! And that's not biased at all. I don't know how you did that but it's really good.

==========================================
He became soused in black’s clarity, taller than before, as if truly elevated in his shoes and spiritual pause.
==========================================
Steven Wright, the comedian says he's "going to get a tatoo of himself only taller."

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2004-11-07 07:31 PM

*bows* wow, this is great stuff!! Thanks for sharing!!

and then He created the horse...

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
4 posted 2004-11-12 12:23 PM

I do agree with all the above.  Great write.

JL

She said: ”You look cute in the dark.”

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
5 posted 2005-03-17 09:06 AM

thanks for guiding me here...

regards
sudhir

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2005-03-17 03:20 PM

Call it serendipity, but I prefer synchronicity, since I am Jungian obsessed regarding shadows...

but I was just recalling a moment of my childhood last night. (I was convinced I didn't have one.) A friend told me to look behind me. *laughing* I was young enough to be happy about that then.

This, if you couldn't tell, sent my mind reeling with all sorts of implications.

Very intriguing treatment of a subject which fascinates me.

Sheesh. I should just e mail you these thoughts. People think me nuts enough already!

love ya lady! Great job with this.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
7 posted 2005-03-17 05:16 PM

Sudhir,

Glad you read it.  It has quite a different tone than yours, but I wanted to share that hidden inside our minds is a peaceful room where we can close off sensory momentum.  It's a place where we can engulf our shadows for a moment and learn from them;

Thanks for taking the time.
             miscellanea

Serenity,

By all means, e-mail!  Glad we are in tune with each other.  Do re me fa so la ti...  Whoops!  How does one spell re/ray ?   no paulie vous francais or what have you!  Well, please excuse my spelling and my lack of language!
           miscellanea

rugged_miss
since 2007-10-27
Posts 26

8 posted 2007-10-27 03:05 PM

thanks for the post and d welcome miscellanea
it was warming..
I picture you writing and writing your mind away.. lol you've got talent..

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
9 posted 2007-10-30 10:04 PM

You're quite welcome rugged_miss.  I enjoyed your post.  Thank you for your kind words.  It was a real treat to see this piece of writing come up again.  It was one of my favorites.  I had completely forgetten about it!  Thanks!

misce

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
10 posted 2007-11-17 11:56 AM

Thanks to rugged_miss for bringing this wonderful mind-spill of yours back up so that more of us can appreciate it!

I always enjoy reading your thoughts and philosophies. I know you have a book in you, Missy!

Love to you!

Linda

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
11 posted 2007-11-17 04:14 PM

I don't ever remember reading this before...it is excellent!!

M

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
12 posted 2007-11-17 09:08 PM

Earth Angel,

We'll just have to wait and see.  I have no idea how I even wrote this short piece.  It doesn't sound like my writing, yet I know it is.  I appreciate you faith in me.  Thank you so very much.

hugs,
miscellanea

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
13 posted 2007-11-17 09:13 PM

nakdthoughts,

I'm so glad you enjoyed this.  It's kind of strange, so I wondered if people would understand it.  I think I was on a different planet somewhere when I wrote it!  

It is nice to hear from you again.  I sometimes think of you and wonder if you are subbing or teaching full time.   I hope so.  I think you have a lot to offer your students.   Good luck to you.

miscellanea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Some Wear Capes, Others a Shadow

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary