navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Horse
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Horse Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WranglrButts9
since 2004-10-24
Posts 108
Iowa, US

0 posted 2004-10-27 09:39 PM

I've had a hard day at school. I come home to an empty house. Mom is working again, and dad is farming. I've got no homework. What would it hurt if I went to my friends? None, as long as I'm home by dark.

The guy I like is there, and I can't help noticing him. Who's he on the phone with? And why's he acting so weird? It couldn't possibly be someone he likes. That's gotta be me!

I spend the day there, I've got no other choice. They're on the phone for at least 2 hours. I can't believe it, he just came out and said he had a new girlfriend. How can this be? We were just holdin hands yesterday! What a trator. Boys suck!

I can't stand this. I've gotta leave before I make a fool of myself. There's no where to go but to the pasture. I run down their drivway, across the road and to the shed. By now the tears are streaming down my face. And all that's goin through my head is how much I hate him. What am I going to tell them? I just wanted out of the house with no explanation. ANd I can't possibly tell them the truth. I'd make even more of a fool!

I can't find the bridle I need, so I grab the halter. I know I'll get bucked off. But right now that'd feel better than what my heart feels like now. Walk out to the pasture and whistle as loud as I can. I see two heads pop up. Thinking they're getting something to eat. I can't help but smile, and think of how much I love them.

Squirt has started running, and Andy follows. They're so pretty while running, I want to be a horse. The tears are still streaming, and I can't get over what just happened. But instead of hurting myself, I channel my anger to happiness and then the horses. Slip the halter over Andy's head. Loop the lead and through it over his head. Grab a handful of mane and back up. He knows what I'm gonna do, but refrains from the usual routine. He always nips my back then starts walking away. Right now he knows its important to just act right, and for once in a lifetime he just stands still.

I lunge forward and swing my leg over. Ah hah! I'm up and I can ride. I know I shouldn't cuz we haven't for a while, but I can't stop. I squeeze and Andy lurches forward in his awkward trot. More coaxing and he's running at full speed. Coming up on the wire fence fast. I know we can jump it. Its only the electric one, and I know its not on. But oh my gosh.... I can't believe I'm gonna do this. I've only jumped with a saddle and a horse that i trusted. In an arena. We've never jumped before, and I don't know if we'll land.

Thank goodness we did. I'm free to run through the newly combined fields. With no restriction. The wind has dried my tears.

Oh how I love my horses!

© Copyright 2004 WranglrButts9 - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2004-10-27 09:49 PM

OK, I do understand, but you scared me with that bareback gallop towards an electric fence, even if it was turned off! Did you really do that? I'd probably kick my daughter's butt if I saw her do that. LOL
But horses are really therapeutic, aren't they.
Glad to read you know how to get rid of your frustrations out in the open. Aren't pastures and plowed fields great healers?

*Alli4000*
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2004-03-21
Posts 3188
The World of Poetry
2 posted 2004-10-27 10:59 PM

That's right! Horses are more fun than guys! lol...j/k.
I think it's really cool that you own horses.  I've always wanted to own some and be able to ride them, it always sounds like so much fun.

~Alli~

*:.AIM = Alli4000.:*   My Journal
Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened...

WranglrButts9
since 2004-10-24
Posts 108
Iowa, US
3 posted 2004-10-28 09:26 PM

No, I just put the jumping thing in there for a little added umph. I thought about it though. I have jumped 3 ft. 6 on a friend's horse in an arena. That was fun, and I was bareback with nothin but a halter and lead on. So I guess you could say I'm a daredevil on horses.

I've even ridden one of mine around in our other pasture (25 acres) bareback with nothing on her head, running. It was super fun! lol!

Do you own horses yourself?

Bailey

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
4 posted 2004-10-30 02:29 PM

Hi Bailey:

I enjoyed your story of being put aside by your boyfriend and finding solace in riding your horse.  Horses are such wonderful creatures!

I lived on a farm when I was young, growing up in Canada.  I loved to ride bareback and once I rode a horse named Gyp, that my uncle had told me NOT TO RIDE!  I did it anyway, when he was gone and rode about a mile with no problem, until she bucked me off in a slough, full of gooey mud and stagnant water! She picked the right place!  I walked home and had plenty of time to ponder on my bad behavior!

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
5 posted 2004-10-30 07:12 PM

Horses are very therapeutic and it sounds like just writing the story was therapeutic  too. I liked the strong emotion in it and the change from sadness to joy. BTW traitor is spelled with an 'i'

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Horse

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary