navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Weather Patterns
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Weather Patterns Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-10-09 05:21 AM

Weather Patterns
By Larry Chadwick
Let it rain...

It occurred to me today that my life has been much like a weather pattern. My early childhood was a long sustained mild spring. Life so pleasant that I had no awareness of what a storm even might be. Then when I was ten years old we moved to another state. It seemed there was a threat of rain but it just turned out to be a few weeks of cloudy weather that soon passed.

My first serious storm hit when I was fourteen years old and another move happened. Oddly this could have been another bout of cloudy weather except that I sought out the storm front and experienced my first thunderstorm. But by the time I was sixteen I realized that extended storm fronts are not healthy and I sought out some sunny weather.

But at the age of nineteen I made a decision that I was ill-equipped to make and moved into a land of unstable weather with the risk of severe storms and severe damage. I got married. There was enough fair weather that I stayed for sixteen years. But eventually winter came and the snow piled too deep. That was the coldest I had ever been. After my divorce it is hard to say that being single for a few years was like moving to the desert. I think it was more like moving to the coast. My horizons were larger. And I had a sense that I could at least see the possibility of storm clouds developing soon enough to be prepared.

In blending a family for my second marriage the weatherman had errored. There were unexpected storms but it turned out that the rain created the opportunity for the flower beds to bloom and the weather soon stabilized. But I found that life’s weather is not influenced only by a marriage relationship. When I lost my job and was underemployed for two plus years we became homeless. That felt more like an earthquake because it hit suddenly and I sustained some damage. But with focus I repaired the damage and moved on.

The next portion of my life might be compared to a hurricane except that I have no experience at that. To me it was more like a volcanic eruption when I was plunged into sudden darkness that just didn’t seem to lift. The first eruption came two plus years ago when my daughter died suddenly. The next eruption hit ten weeks later when my dad died. In weather like that I could not have survived without my friends and some shelter.

More recently I experienced a small tornado when I had a heart attack and flat lined at the hospital. Fortunately it blew over with only minor damage and actually left me with a sharper awareness of the weather conditions that I might deal with in my life. Ultimately it lessened my fear of any fatal weather patterns. But the truth is without the variety of weather patterns I have experienced life would not have had the seasons that has given me so much understanding. Current conditions are clear and balmy. But should there be a tropical storm in my future I am insured so I am not concerned. I will just ride it out.

October 9, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2004-10-09 07:08 AM

*feeling the warm breeze of your wisdom wind*

(very very cool inspire groovy guy)

I would love to live as a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.

~Fluent~
John O'Donohue

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2004-10-09 08:27 AM

you've earned a smooth glide ride, but know how to lean into the curves and dodge any  sinkholes on the road

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2004-10-11 01:18 AM

JM,
Nice to see you back Hope the move went well! And thank you for the kind words. Peace.

Kacy,
Funny you should say that. Nancy is in Minnesota and I went to Sedona Saturday on the bike and came back Sunday! It was awesome. Hooked up with seven guys on Harleys and rode with them about half the distance back. And thank you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
4 posted 2004-10-12 02:00 AM

Larry, this was a great analogy.  What a life!  So sorry for the loss you have suffered.  You do seem to be in a good place now and I hope it stays that way for you.   .......jo
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2004-10-13 01:47 AM

iliana,
Well thanks. And I am...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Weather Patterns

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary