navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Free...Forget It
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Free...Forget It Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-08-14 02:59 PM

Free...Forget It
By Larry Chadwick

Not everything in life can just be taken. No matter how much you desire it there are things you cannot have by acquisition. You can crave, covet, desire, want, demand and even need but it does not make it yours. Yet we are accustom to acquiring as we please. If it takes money then you work more. If it takes an education then you go to school longer. If it takes patience then you wait longer. If it takes desire then you want more. If it takes persistence you try harder. If it requires speed you just go faster. If it requires time then you become a meticulous time manager. Gratification is what drives most us. And if you cannot wait then many simply steal.

Love. It is something you have to give away to get it back. There are those who try to buy it. We all know what they call that. Friendship. A variation of the same. Some even try to buy that. Patience. Something that must be tested to get more of it in return. Money. Something a bank has to part with to get more of it back. And if you try to mint your own. Well… But in it all there is a consistent theme. You cannot just take it. Or even buy it. Yet these are things that you have to do something to acquire it.

Nothing is free. Although the theory gets tested on the internet millions of times a day. People see ads for tons of “free” things and many pay in unexpected ways to learn the truth. There is only one thing in life that is free. Amazingly we all need it. In our world when you find a commodity that everyone needs you have found something that should be cashed in on. In fact monopoly laws were created to protect us from those who would prey on the populace for commodities that are in high demand. And if it is something everyone needs then at least it is a bargain because volume will compensate with wealth.
It is our nature to take advantage.

It is odd that we all want something for nothing unless its declared worth has no market value. Free? Forget it. Once you realize that fact then your desire to get something for free evaporates. You will turn and walk away. There is no interest at all. We are a fickle society. Eternity is something we probably need just to accommodate our learning curve.

Grace. It is free. Not because there was no cost. But because someone else paid the price. You can have it. But only if you accept it. You cannot buy it. You can do nothing to earn it. You cannot barter for it. You cannot negotiate for it. You cannot acquire it on demand. Begging for it is pointless, after all, no one begs for that which is free. You cannot steal it. It cannot be borrowed. You cannot manufacture it. You cannot acquire it by education.  No amount of scheming will make it yours. Strangely enough you cannot even request it. Because it was available before you even thought of asking. And because we base worth on market value many will walk away empty handed. Turning their back on the most valuable commodity ever offered failing to meet their one true need because they would rather get a good bargain. Forget it, free is all I can afford.

August 13, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2004-08-14 04:56 PM

You, Sir...are full of grace.

Thank you!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-08-16 12:20 PM

Karilea,
And you are incredibly kind. Thank you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sweetest Sorrow X
since 2004-01-19
Posts 146
From a cradle to a casket
3 posted 2004-08-22 12:31 PM

At first I was unintrested at reading this ill be honest..Then I started getting more into it...By the end..I was so amazed. This is such a great peice..It has so many great truthful elements. I love the common Idea behind it..So true. Ive re-read this like 10 times to get more and more out of it. I really really enjoyed this...such an easy thought written so beautifully.
Thank You For this
<3
Persephone

I believe that lovers should be tied together and thrown into the ocean in the worst of weather and left there to drownin their innocence

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-08-23 02:18 PM

Sweet Sorrow X,
I'm quite taken back by your response. Humbled actually. I know it will slip away without much on it, but I had to say it anyway. Thank you for your genuine interest and for persevering. I'd be interested in understanding how you chose your tagline...

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2004-08-23 06:47 PM

I think I am obsessive Larry.  I read this, re-read it again today and still I gravitated to all the stupid things that happened to me through something I thought I might be getting for nothing.  Some precautions I have put into place now are:

1) Never enter any draws or contents
2) Never sign up for anything they will send you for free.
3) If there are lines for your name, address and phone number throw it out or ignore it.
4) If it feels hard to do it must sure worth doing.
5) If it hurts now it was wonderful at one time.
6) If it comes back to bite you, bite back.
7) If it asks for nothing - give it something and you will be rewarded.

Oh there are not enough hours in this day to add to your wisdom with my silly thoughts, but I want you to know that although I don't always take time to put my John Henry on people's work (lazy habit) I do read. How are you and NL enjoying the house?  By the way, the friendships I have are few, but trust me they are indeed free of encumbrances of any kind.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
6 posted 2004-08-24 08:44 AM

Larry,
   It's great to read your writing again.  You are so with it!  I liked the short lesson on ecomony, smiling, as you've hit it on the target!  Take care,
          miscellanea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
7 posted 2004-08-25 07:11 PM

Sharon,
Seems you should be writing on this subject. You've already got an outline. And thank you for investing the time. You are both generous in your response and your friendship. The details are in the email. We are blessed and happy. Thank you.

miscellania,
Wow, now those ARE kind words. Thank you for your kindness.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Free...Forget It

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary