navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » An Introduction to Xan and Zingers
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Introduction to Xan and Zingers Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2004-07-23 12:20 PM

There are some people who have a glint of innocence and  discovery that is unforgettable.  So it was with  X, we’ll call him Xan.   He was a shuck and bundler, delivering newspapers for a hobby or a for a living--you never could tell with Xan!   If you didn’t look at his black bead smiling eyes, you might have been  disappointed by his weedy face, floppy flannel shirt, and religious jeans.  Beyond the appearance, was written the letter A for Adventurer.   One never knew if  he would be found folk dancing on a hill, creek-walking (a term he used to describe treasure hunting for useful or fixable objects), sneaking onto a catwalk under tall bridges, or in the back seat of a car trying to learn how to kiss.  He was off the wall different, a unique and pleasant  person to be around.  When you were in his company, you knew you were alive.

Not only an adventurer, but a young man of domestics was he.  He could cook, sew, and was artistically creative on a shoestring. For my 21st birthday he gave me Frisbee, wrapped in love.  Its covering was made from burlap, decorated with at least a hundred concentric circles of purple, my favorite color.  The yarn looped evenly to give it a warm flowerlike texture.  Around it were 21 white knotted flowers woven into the design.  It was absolutely beautiful!   When he handed it to me, those smiling eyes and his grinning ear-to-ear face said there was a story behind the gift.  

He proceeded to tell about the Zinger.  The Zinger was developed by his father as a type of free entertainment for a household of seven boys.  (Their mother had died when most of them were young.)   Zingers were very special,only being engineered when the source was no longer
wearable.   To celebrate new underwear in his household, the old ones were ripped up, saving only the elastic waistbands for Zinging at one and another.  Imagine the energy of seven zinging brothers!  After leaving his home, he still saved them, remembering to incorporate a "zinger" in the Frisbee cover he had made for my special day.

Occasionally I wonder what happened to Xan.    He was such a well-rounded individual in a rugged kind of way, but there was one thing he had never done.  He had never kissed.  He had a girl, but had never kissed…  In embarrassment he asked me to teach him.  I tried at his request, but that’s one adventure a “sister” just couldn’t take.   I left him in his innocence.

© Copyright 2004 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2004-07-23 08:41 AM

Maybe he ripped the cloth, and found a new way to zing?  A wonderful story...I wanted to keep reading about this delightful young man...

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
2 posted 2004-07-23 09:19 AM

Thanks, Sunshine, for responding to this one.  Xan was just one of those people everyone should have a chance to meet.  Glad you could meet a small part.  Perhaps I can write about Xan's adventure on the catwalk someday.  
                  Misc'e

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2004-07-23 03:09 PM

There's a question that you won't?  Do...

I'll be here...

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
4 posted 2004-07-23 08:37 PM

OK. Karilea,
  I'll do that as soon as I have a little more time.  I was up pretty late last night, keeping others awake if you know what I mean...  
   Thanks for responding to my prose.  I'm just beginning to enjoy prose.  Some of my prose is pretty stinky.  My best prose is the one about My Best Friend, My Hero on Memorial Day.  Hankie Alert there...  It's one that needed to be freed. Take a read, if you will.

misc'e  

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
5 posted 2004-08-03 09:01 PM

This was great (are you talking about rainbow man?).   ....jo
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
6 posted 2004-08-04 02:30 AM

I'll e-mail.  Thanks for reading and commenting!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » An Introduction to Xan and Zingers

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary