navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #28
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #28 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-05-13 08:43 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #28
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #28 “My Best Friend”:

This topic proves that life is a journey. I remember Penny my first dog. That was a really good friend. And I have a childhood full of memories of being grandma’s first grandchild. I remember when my mommy threatened to cut her hair short and the relief I felt when I discovered she was teasing. Then there were the times I swelled with pride in public because I was with my brothers. And daddy was untouchable. Plus my thirty-two aunts and uncles. I have to mention my sixty plus cousins. You should know I love them all.

In high school I learned more about what friends are not. It surprised me that I had so few because my childhood had made me feel pretty special. But several years of withdrawal taught me convincingly that to have a friend I had to be a friend. It changed my life. Humor, compassion, understanding, patience and a willingness to share both sorrow and joy can bring you gifts unspeakable. And my son has shown me the value of loyalty and integrity. God bless him. But it is my wife who has taught me to love even when it hurts.

I urge you to make friends with that person you see in the mirror. And as with most relationships you do not need to spoil that individual as you might ruin a good human being. Besides if you spend too much time at the mirror you will not have any best friends. I have so many best friends I refuse to count. But John Andrews though we have been apart for years and though your mind’s capacity is too diminished to know…you are still my best friend.

May 13, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-05-13 10:25 PM

Hello Larry,
I checked to see and yes you did your assignment. :-)
The first thing I thought of after the read was
ahhhhhhhhhh.
Brought to my mind...
Love wasn't put in the heart to stay
for love isn't love til you give it away!
thanks for sharing a piece (peace) written
from the heart!
I thoroughly enjoyed this read.
pictureme :-)

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

2 posted 2004-05-13 11:15 PM

Just wanted to say Hi Larry and let ya know I've been reading these whenever I catch them and I've enjoyed 'em all...  

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2004-05-14 10:56 AM

pictureme,
My learning that lesson is another story. And thank you for reading. I have one assignment left and it will be posted next Tuesday. I have enjoyed your participation.

Duncan,
What a surprise to see you here. And thank you for letting me know. It is always good to see you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #28

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary