navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #19
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #19 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-05-03 08:35 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #19
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #19 “Honesty In Advertising”:

Can all the legislation of the last two centuries prevent honesty in advertising from being an oxymoron? Well perhaps not. But then again there are plenty of agencies attempting to do exactly that. I am probably not the only one it helps to sleep better at night. But does that settle the issue?

The Supreme Court claims to protect individual rights by the ruling on Roe vs. Wade. The police claim to protect the community but struggle with corruption and physical abuse. Catholic priests receive confessions of sins while many sexually abuse children. Protestants started the reformation against Catholicism but often fail to practice the gospel in such social issues as homosexuality. And the Boy Scouts cannot even practice their own moral convictions in a free country.

It seems we are so busy policing everybody else that we forgot to look in the mirror. Perhaps our biggest challenge with truth in advertising is in how we live our own lives. When will we ever figure that the best way to change the world is to change ourselves?

April 26, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-05-04 10:27 PM

Hello Larry C,
I have worked in different
aspects of marketing. I liked your approach to honesty in advertising! I enjoyed your closing paragraph as I think you hit the nail on truth.
Let us take the mirror we are looking thru and let it reflect back on ourself. Let the mirror be clean, clear, with a truthful honest image! If all of us could find the honesty in ourself and live it. The biggest problem with truth in advertising is truth does not always sell! Sometimes truth needs a sugar coating, sometimes truth needs to be hidden, and sometimes truth is just not! I'm glad you are getting your assignments done!
pictureme :-)

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-05-04 10:30 PM

pictureme,
Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it is better left unsaid. I'm happy to see you persistent in reading my project. Thanks so much.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

3 posted 2004-05-24 07:02 AM

Changing ourselves, isn't always easy to do, but I am enjoying your thoughts here Larry.

Maree

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-05-24 08:12 PM

Maree,
So true, but it's easier than changing someone else. Thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #19

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary