navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #11
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #11 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-04-23 07:48 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #11
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #11 “Just Say ‘No!’”:

It seems to me that Nancy Reagan was not all that original. How is it that for the sake of the drug war she stole the very spirit of the protestant reformation? Okay, I concede her idea was for a worthy cause. But I find it strange that we think this “standing for right” so original. And more fascinating is the truth that “just saying no”, when first proposed by Martin Luther, was a spirit of independence boldly pitted against a public institution, the church. Now it is not an established culture that requires resistance but rather resistance to a counter culture. What a difference five hundred years make.

I had no idea, until my adulthood, what a rare gift my parents had bestowed upon me. Only occasionally did the independence of mind I was taking on get used inappropriately. And how unusual not to recognize peer pressure as anything but ridiculous. It was in my twenties that my dad began to put pressure on me to be more conforming. But it was too late. The only hope of moderation would be driven my maturity not pressure. Don’t "just say no". Say no for a meaningful purpose whether to the pressure of our culture or a counter culture.

April 22, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-04-23 10:16 PM

Hello,
Wow, what a meaningful read!
When most of today people
think "just say no" means Nikes! Although I always thought Nikes stole it from my own mother! Seriously, the last two sentences are outstanding!
Bravo Dear Friend.

pictureme :-)

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-04-26 10:40 AM

pictureme,
Thank you. I have appreciated your encouragement so much. I wrote three more last night.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
3 posted 2004-04-26 11:06 PM

Larry
If you wrote three more last night...have you posted them? I am a bit new to pip and maybe I'm just lost in cyberpip but I couldn't seem to locate them. Please let me know when you post them! :-)
Keep on keeping on!
pictureme :-)

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-04-27 12:27 PM

pictureme,
Wow, you are all over this one! Thanks. I left the floppy at home so didn't get them posted. Now I wrote four more last night and will have to ration them out so I don't look like posting hog. I'll try to get three up tonight before I go home.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

5 posted 2004-05-20 07:34 AM

Absolutely wonderful...smiling

Maree.

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2004-05-20 08:50 PM

Maree,
You have made this a lot of fun. Thank you.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
7 posted 2004-11-30 08:39 AM

Larry,
   I like how you tied history into this write.  Enjoyed as usual.  Nicely done!
             miscellanea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2004-12-02 07:13 PM

Misc'a,
Thank you dear lady. Much appreciated.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #11

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary