navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #10
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #10 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-04-21 10:56 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #10
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #10 “Improving Government”:

I have listened with intrigue to the people at church. Their ability to criticize so explicitly amazes me. If only they were equally skilled at seeing and commenting on the positive things. The criticisms expressed are consistently directed at “them”. And the change in their expressions when I remind them that they “are” the church are telling. Always we talk about the most effective way to change the church is to change ourselves. Followed by reminders that those warming the pews are not really entitled to criticize those who are actively participating.

This is the first time I have ever considered any similarities between my church and my government. I have always appreciated that they were so separate. Now I am thinking that they should be separate in structure but similar in practice. The government of the people would best be improved if the people were not so busy warming pews. The government of the people would best be improved if the people were more actively improving themselves.

I know my churches faults and I have learned to love it anyway. I know my governments faults but I love it anyway. Not only am I registered to vote…I vote. I am improving my government the most effective way I know how.
April 21, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (04-23-2004 11:46 AM).]

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-04-22 11:28 PM

Larry C.
ahhhhh...you knew I was out here waiting for assignment #10. After reading your thoughts, my thoughts continued.
I am improving my government the most effective way I know how............
by loving others, by loving myself!
An interesting read...with alot of thought and heart! I look forward....to #11!
Keep on keeping on!
pictureme :-)

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-04-23 11:48 AM

pictureme,
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I wrote two more last night and really enjoyed the process. Hopefully I'll post them later today. Again thank you this project is very personal to me.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

3 posted 2004-05-20 07:29 AM

I enjoy your thoughts Larry, thank you.

Maree

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-05-20 08:50 PM

Maree,
It was a fresh idea to me. But probably not all that realistic. Thanks.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
5 posted 2004-11-29 08:03 PM

The government of the people would best be improved if the people were more actively improving themselves. Way to go!

misc'a

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2004-12-02 07:12 PM

Misc'a,
Well I thought it was a good theory! And thanks.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #10

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary