navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Daytripping
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Daytripping Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2004-02-23 02:10 PM

It was a crisp morning, not particularly cold, but then I was dressed for even colder weather with my thick black leather coat.  I had driven through the night to arrive someplace, which I had done many times over the years.  Six hours drive in darkness, twilight sleeping in the car and ready for the day.  I had driven North, the finger lake region of new York to be more precise, breakfast in a dinner where a couple of the patrons could not complete a sentence without cursing.  I had time, as most times, I was early and the wineries which I were going to visit had yet to open for sampling.  But after several minutes of the limited vocabulary I got bored with what ever they were saying, because as colorful as they talked it was all the same color of words, ya know?.
I arrived at the first object at the time I planned, a winery that has a very nice white wine I’m fond of and I trudged across the parking lot and up the icy path.  I was ready to taste and buy, since I driven so far and done neither yet, so I was somewhat disappointed that their ‘winter’ hours caused a two hour later opening.  So after a brief conversation about this and that, learning that the owners had taken this slack time to go find a bit of warm sunlight on some tropical Island I bid him farewell and promised to return later in the day after visiting some of the other wineries in the area.  There are no shortages of wineries around the finger lakes of New York.  As I returned to my car down the same path I had just come up, my feet went out from under me.  Ice is slippery especially going down hill.  I landed flat on my back head slightly tucked up and my left arm slapping the ground simultaneously,  I guess all that training was worth the time I spent.  So there I lay.  The clouds were drifting across the sky, not too quickly, casually.  And I lay there watching them for a moment before getting up.  Ya know you’ve got to take the time to do things like watch clouds and smell flowers before they force you to notice.
I went to the next place, after wiping off the back of my coat ( a little dirty from the fall).
When I eventually returned, several wineries later I was careful to walk the long way around to the other entrance and took my cane to steady my walk.  Oh, by the way, I stopped and got a rose to wear and sniff occasionally taking my time along the way.

Gloom

© Copyright 2004 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
1 posted 2004-03-04 09:02 PM

It's nice to read a seasoned writer for a change. I dare not post some writings I am working on, and am saving it for the publisher.
Endlessecho
since 2003-09-05
Posts 398
I live within myself
2 posted 2004-03-05 04:07 PM

Wow.  This was a nice peice.  Very short, but descriptive and meaningful.  But not "in your face" meaningful.  I really liked this.  I loved the idea of "twilight sleeping in the car".  

Just wanted to point out to you - there were a few spelling errors such as diner (not dinner) and in the second paragraph it should be I'd driven not I driven.  There were a couple others I'm sure you'll find when you go through.  

It didn't distract too much from the write.  I enjoyed.  

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

3 posted 2004-04-16 10:18 AM

I like this. Not many a character would fall and enjoy the scenery in their new found position.  Maybe I'll try that if ever I find myself flat out.   Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Daytripping

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary