navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » What was the best thing you did this year?
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic What was the best thing you did this year? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2003-12-29 01:56 PM

as asked by the columnist in today's newspaper

A close friend also asked me recently whether i found 2003 to be a good year and my knee-jerk answer would be "honey, i did 2 overseas community service projects and spent 7 weeks abroad in 2002. it would have to be an exceptionally superb year for any other year to match up". i did a couple of memorable stuff this year but 2003 still way paled in comparison to 2002. i know it's unbecoming of me but i can't help living and reminiscing in my glorious past

so basically i was stumped by the question-title but was reluctant to admit straight out that "while there were a couple of great stuff, unfortunately none stood out for me". i won't have my 23rd year of existance go to waste just like that

anyway, my stubbornness held out and i managed to think of two points and was delibrating which one i should choose:

1) i visited thailand, malacca, taiwan (soon-to-be-accomplished). i'm travelling places without having to sign up for overseas community service projects! and i have friends whom i don't mind travelling with and who don't mind travelling with me!

2) i volunteered for SADeaf (Singapore Association for the Deaf) and Metta Cattery (a place where stray animals are kept). so aside from showing my face and doing very little work on several occasions, i didn't do anything of value actually but hey, i'm just starting out man. so i deserve to give myself plenty of leeway here

but i wasn't quite satisfied

until i went to bathe and inspiration suddenly hit me and now i'm convinced i have the best answer

the best thing i did this year was to feel good about myself

i'm more confident and less apologetic about the person i am. i have the guts to do what i wanna do and am not so affected by what others think
--i have decided digital photography isn't for me. i dig authenticity and i don't feel right about using Photoshop to touch up my pictures
--i don't wanna learn how to drive. i don't wanna fuss about the dream car i will be targetting. i don't mind remaining way ignorant about cars and their horse powers, something that the average Singaporean is adept with
--i get a bit unrationally irritated when we go shopping and you tell me that's not a nice cap/T-shirt/accessory and that i must be out of my mind to think i can put off that look. i mean, if i don't mind making fashion mistakes, then why should you?
--i respond with a "ya, i also think so" when people give a compliment on my nice cap/T-shirt/accessory/shoes. they usually laugh because they expect me, a typical Asian to decline politely and play myself down and are amused/uncomfortable/surprised with my atypical reaction. I just rather be shamefully honest rather than falsely modest.
--i feel more comfortable in silence. i don't feel the need for incessant small talk
--i would rather stay at home rather than to go out with aquaintances in an attempt to dissolve my loneliness. Solitude is becoming a great friend

i have learnt to trust my instincts more.
--i no longer doubt myself when i vaguely suspect other people are pissed with me.
--i can sometimes leave my assignments to the last minute and be assured that i will prevail
--i teach A level chemistry and trust that i will grow into this more demanding role of an A level tutor (being desperate for extra cash helps)

i'm starting to develop new interests instead of trying to fulfill adolescent dreams.
--i would like to learn how to critique films/movies more professionally.
--i am reading travelogues, stuff that i would shun away in the past.
--i am now more disciplined in certain aspects--with keeping an online journal and diaries whenever i travel.
--i don't mind doing introspective thinking--i once aspired to be an "eat, drink and be merry" kinda guy

i think i'm a better friend. i try to be assertive in reaching out more to people

and so i shall end here, satisfied that i have pretty much summed up 2003 and yep, feeling good about myself

© Copyright 2003 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

1 posted 2003-12-29 02:05 PM

Like I'm gonna follow that...

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2003-12-29 02:34 PM

Kaile...where have you been!!
I'll be back to read this when I have some peace...so good to see your name today...
will check out your challenge....
I could use a muse inspire.

I can remember Forever December,
The center of dying ... the heart of the pain.
The stars surround me ... the cold astounds me.

Tabitha's Secret

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
3 posted 2003-12-29 04:30 PM

I learned how to correct mistakes.

I learned how to love someone for what they are rather than who I want them to be.

I learned to trust a little more, in spite of being lied to.  

Those are some of the best things I did this year.  

"if you won't let me fall for you
then you won't see the best that I would love to do for you"
~Dido~

Brad Majors
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-04-03
Posts 2647
Georgia
4 posted 2003-12-29 11:32 PM

Good piece
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2003-12-30 12:53 PM

the best thing i did this year was to feel good about myself

i'm more confident and less apologetic about the person i am. i have the guts to do what i wanna do and am not so affected by what others think
============================

That says it all!!!
these things come to us from inner growth of spirit...
good for you Kaile!!!! Many twice your age arent yet comfortable in their own skin too thin.
Nice to have you back in the blue again.

Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2003-12-30 04:52 AM

deep subject, i replyed to your challenge,,,,not nearly as eloquently as your words,,but, I answered true,,,,,cool challenge
Michelle

I wish all could find the true happiness I have found,,in the eyes of Mike

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
7 posted 2003-12-30 08:26 PM

Kaile~
A stunning write .... totally~

Me ?  ... loved others more than I've ever loved~

Happy New Year's wishes to you and yours~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram
         noles1@totcon.com

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2003-12-30 10:38 PM

read you, and learn

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » What was the best thing you did this year?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary