navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Winter On The Prairie (Prose Series part one)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Winter On The Prairie (Prose Series part one) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

0 posted 2003-11-24 10:15 AM

He never knew how much the fear had settled in over those long winter months when he was gone. Life on the small farm was never easy,and winter always brought with it that dreaded knowledge that the season could be unforgiving at times.  Gabe didn't realize how those months alone on the prairie had worn me down.

That was like Gabe though.  He was always the optimist, the one who could find a silver lining behind every cloud. It was hard for him to understand what it was like for me to leave the city and come here to this place where vast open skies prevailed and there were no shops, fancy dresses or any of the things that one becomes accustomed to when having lived in the city all of their life.

Life in Boston was so very different than life on the prairie where visitors were rarely seen and trips to town were considered to be a special event.  

Meeting Gabe Tucker had been a turning point in my life. He was a tall handsome man with a gentle smile and a passion for life that I had never seen before.  He was an explorer, and he was searching.

I don't know if he ever really knew what it was he was searching for, just that he knew there was something more and that he was going to find it.

I remember the day that we met. I was strolling along the sidewalk inspecting the latest fashions through the window of my favorite boutique.  I recall vividly how the wind was blowing that day.  I was struggling with an armful of the days treasures when a sudden gasp of wind blew one from my grasp. That's when it happened. That was the moment I first laid eyes on Gabe. He had retrieved my package and brought it back to me.  I felt a sudden warmth filling me the moment that his eyes met mine.  Little did I know then how much that one magical moment would affect the course of my life.

Gabe and I fell in love rather quickly, as a matter of fact even too quickly according to some of the town folks but we ignored the whispers just the same.  In my heart I knew that he was the one for me and it didn't matter to me what others said.  

Our relationship thrived despite the time we had to spend apart when he traveled in search of the thing that was calling to him. In the long run, I believe that it strengthened our bond, and prepared me for the harsh realities of the future that lie ahead.

It was during that period of his travels that he had once journeyed into Kansas. He had described to me the sun as it was setting over the endless horizons of the prairie.  He felt that this was what he had been searching for.

We were married two years later in the fall of the year. Our journey would begin in the spring of the following year. It was then that my life as Emelia Lane would end and a new life as Emmy Tucker would begin.

In as much as I knew that I would miss the comforts of Boston and family, I also knew that this place I had only seen through his eyes was the beginning of our life together.

The winter passed by too quickly that year as there was much to do to prepare for a journey of that length. There were plans to be made and routes to be mapped out. The spring came upon us and the winter snows dissipated.  It was time to leave Boston and begin the search for our new home.

It's better than I could have planned..
it's made me who I am...
{Trace Adkins}

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (11-24-2003 12:18 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 dmsmith - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-11-24 02:57 PM

I'm going to enjoy following this, just to see where Emmy takes us.  Now, you knew, of course, that this would be dear reading for me...perhaps I shall learn something new!

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2003-11-24 10:12 PM

Yes! I'm looking forward to reading more of Gabe and Emmy's story.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2003-11-25 01:58 AM

I always thought that shopping started the greatest adventures, now you have proven it!  Really enjoyed the writing in this  and will try to follow along.
Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
4 posted 2003-11-25 09:45 AM

I too am looking forward to all you have to say....

Lauren~

I had a dream last night
you came to me on silver wings of light
I flew away with you in painted sky
Was it real
Is it what you see,touch or feel

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
5 posted 2003-11-30 09:33 PM

Donna,  enjoyed the story line....Emmy will
have quite a trip soon,  I am sure....back
to civilization somewhat,  for her sake,
I hope!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Winter On The Prairie (Prose Series part one)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary