navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Leather Hat
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Leather Hat Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Red
since 2000-01-01
Posts 143
Ca

0 posted 2003-11-18 02:27 PM

The smell of newly purchased leather and the crisp sharp folds of your original design have faded with the apathetic passage of time, but the impression of your novelty will never be forgotten. I can still see you now.  With the flick of a wrist and the tug of two hands, you covered all signs of age and transformed the sardonic twist of an unforgiving smirk into an unflappable confident grin, a grin that I cannot easily dismiss.  His grin.  My memory man.  My nemesis. Occasionally I wonder whether the trading of disguises was worth it for him; bitterness and loneliness in exchange for a leather veneer.  Yet such thoughts are inevitably abandoned, shadowed by the reminiscence of that cool impressionable grin.  

Weathered, torn, and stained that you now are, you still hold the ability to disguise.  With a flick and a tug you become mine.  My leather shield, my impenetrable skin; you conceal the deepest darkest trenches of my soul and for a moment, I understand your power over him and over me—the power to deceive.  Yet once again such thoughts are easily dismissed, the truth has a way of being forgotten.  Like a shooting star briefly lighting the night sky, it flickers through our minds with blinding, promising potential, then fades and eventually disappears into the universal darkness.  What remains is but a memory, of a time, of a place, of a newly purchased leather hat, and of a man.  

© Copyright 2003 Melissa - All Rights Reserved
Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
1 posted 2003-11-18 09:54 PM

This is a wonderful read....sometimes its easy to remember those little moments that help define who we are....

Lauren~
~~**~~

I had a dream last night
you came to me on silver wings of light
I flew away with you in painted sky
Was it real
Is it what you see,touch or feel

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Leather Hat

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary