navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Warrior's Soul/Orphean Heart
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Warrior's Soul/Orphean Heart Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
paraboxer
since 2002-11-10
Posts 121
Maryland, USA

0 posted 2003-10-23 10:46 PM

Warrior's Soul/Orphean Heart

(AN: This was inspired by my knowledge of World War II history...and the video game Medal of Honor Follow this link the SOE website: http://www.64-baker-street.org/main/index.html)

1942:

The music played, its soft, lighthearted and innocent beat. A couple danced in the open air music festival that had been approved to be played here in Hyde Park. A British soldier danced with his sweetheart, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force.

He was a Canadian of British descent with 1 SAS and his name was Lance Corporal Rusty Puckett. A compact and fit fellow with intelligence radiating from his small black eyes, with his short black hair cropped close in a standard Army fashion he was a surprisingly kind and gentle soul underneath the beryl armor that two years of fighting had toughened. He smiled happily but there was a melancholy feeling in his soul as he stared into the deep brown eyes of his partner.

Diane Schonke, Women's Auxiliary Air Force looked up into the eyes of the slightly taller Rusty. Standing about 5'7" compared to Rusty's 5'9", Diane wore her brown hair short, above her shoulders and was slim figured and delicate. Rusty knew that despite her delicate appearance she possesed a strong and unyielding will. She was born of a Dutch father and an English mother and worked as a cryptographer with the Royal Air Force. She knew Rusty had feelings for her, but he never expressed them in the two years since they knew each other. Why, then, did it feel so right to be dancing in his arms?

"Where are you going now?" Diane asked.

"Africa." Rusty began, "Back to Egypt."

"But your injury..." Diane began.

"Has healed." Rusty replied, referring to a bullet wound he received in 1941 in North Africa while trying to drop a grenade into the hatch of a German tank.

The pair swayed to the music, holding each other firmly and close, both knowing that this night in 1942 could very well be their last together. "Ironic, this song's German." Rusty began.

"Maybe it means there's hope. Remember the Christmas Truce of 1914." Diane replied.

"You're always so optimistic about everything, it's amazing." Rusty replied, "I see so much at the frontlines I just want to forget."

"Rusty..." Diane began. He could see unshed tears in her eyes.

'I wish he'd tell me how he really feels.' Diane thought, 'He's so guarded, so hidden. Maybe that's what drove me into Steven's arms.'

'I wish I could tell her. But I can't bear to break their happiness apart with my feelings.' Rusty thought, 'And yet this could be my only chance to tell her I love her.'

"Shh...I'm sorry." Rusty began, as the song both recognized as Lili Marlene, ended he guided her to a park bench and they sat down.

"Listen, I've got to report to work early in the morning." Diane replied.

"I'll walk you home." Rusty replied, "That is if Steven doesn't mind."

"I'm sure he won't. He knows we're friends." Diane replied, 'Though I wish we were more than that. God why do things have to be so confusing?'

The blocks to Diane's apartment weren't that far a walk as the pair walked in amiable silence to the front of her building. "I've got to be back at the camp in an hour." Rusty sighed, "Then in another couple of days, back to the desert."

"You'd best get moving then." Diane replied, as she noticed a telegram by her doorstep. It had a note from Anna, her room mate, saying that it was for her.

Rusty watched as she paled, and he instinctively moved closer to her. She opened the telegram and read the careful print of the typist, "Dear Ms. Diane Schonke, we regret to inform you that Pilot Officer Steven Christopher Osborne, Royal Air Force, was killed in action on this date, January 1942..."

She couldn't bear to read the rest and Rusty held her in his arms as she sobbed, breaking down almost completely. It broke his heart to see his normally calm and composed lady friend in this state. He opened the door to her apartment and sat down with her on the couch.

"Shh...you'll be fine. Steven is with God now." Rusty began, his words sounding hollow as he said them. Diane may have been twenty-one years old, but now she cried like a toddler and all Rusty could do was hold her.

'I can't tell her that I love her now.' Rusty said, 'She'll never forgive me if I do. She needs a friend, not a lover.'

Eventually she calmed down, and fell asleep in his arms. Rusty carried her into her bed, tucking her in. He watched her sleep, she seemed so peaceful, so serene, despite what had just happened. He lingered just a moment longer before turning out the lamp and locking the door behind him...

© Copyright 2003 Carl - All Rights Reserved
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
1 posted 2003-10-24 04:27 PM

Interesting, I'll look for the rewrite. Thanks for sharing.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Warrior's Soul/Orphean Heart

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary