navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Old Jake-Fiction
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Old Jake-Fiction Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MsSouthernOrchid
since 2003-07-12
Posts 192

0 posted 2003-10-13 12:00 PM

Old Jake

Today was when it happened, while I was driving in from Jacksonville. That's where I have been living and working for the past few years, ever since leaving home back in 1968. I always look forwards to these trips back to South Florida to see my hometown again and to visit family. Today was no exception. I had pulled off the main road down near the old canal just outside of town, just to stretch my legs and rest a bit before driving on into town. That's when I saw him. Old Jake himself.
    Jake is the town's resident alligator, and that canal has been  his home for as far back as I can remember. I saw him drifting towards the opposite bank, saw him from a distance, cause you never get too close to Old Jake. Not if you're smart anyhow.  
I saw his big old head floating on top of the water, barely breaking the surface, those beady eyes focused on me, daring me to come closer, taunting me. He probably sensed my unease, smelled my fear. He knew I wouldn't come too close. Never too close.
   Old Jake is quite a celebrity around these parts. Been here forever too, according to some of the older population of our little town. At least forty, maybe even fifty years now. Huge too. Some say he measures a good fifteen feet long, but I must admit, I've often wondered to myself just exactly who it was that took a measuring tape out there and proceeded to measure the old guy. Still, Old Jake gives the towns people lots to talk about on long, lazy Sunday afternoons after church.
    When I was younger, I used to love to listen to the stories told by those who gathered around our front porch in the summer time, while cooling themselves off with tall glasses of iced tea and lemonade. I heard talk that Old Jake ate a whole fawn once, bones and all, in one great big gulp. Old Mr. Turner, who lived down the road from us, said he was there and saw him clear as day when it happened. Said that deer disappeared so fast, he hardly had time to blink his eyes before
it was gone. I always secretly suspected that Mr. Turner may have exaggerated just a might with his story, but it sure sounded good in the telling. Anyway, Mr.Turner said that he decided right then and there that Old Jake was not one to be messed with.
    Mr. Jones, our town's barber, said once when he went fishing out on the canal with his cane pole, he thought he had himself a huge fish on his line for his supper that night. He was extremely excited, pulling on that pole for all he was worth and working himself up a real sweat, when suddenly, Old Jake popped up outa the water, clasping both that big fish and the line in those powerful jaws of his. Well, Mr. Jones just let that gator have his whole fishing pole. Just threw it right out into the middle of that canal. Said he didn't need it anyhow, cause he had lots more at home just like it. The last time Mr. Jones saw his pole, he watched it drifting slowly down the canal,
floating along quietly behind Old Jake.
    My Aunt Izzie and Uncle Carl lived not too far from that canal when I was growing up. Aunt Izzie says Jake crawled outa that canal one year, crawled right into her hen house and ate up half her chickens before heading back down to the water. My uncle heard the commotion, said he knew that gator was in the hen house, but said he wasn't about to go out there and interrupt Old Jake's dinner. No sir, not him. Besides, he could get some more chickens, but he fancied keeping his own arms and legs for himself.
    There's lots more stories I've heard and could tell about Old Jake, but I will save those for another day. Seeing old Jake today brought back memories and these old stories to mind.
I saw those old beady eyes focusing on me and I couldn't help but wonder. Did he recognize me too?

MsSouthernOrchid(Mary)

© Copyright 2003 MsSouthernOrchid(Mary) - All Rights Reserved
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
1 posted 2003-10-13 02:10 PM

Thank you for sharing ole Jake...I enjoyed it!

Susan

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2003-10-13 03:00 PM

Now you took me back to my days in Tallahassee! I thought that WAS old Jake I saw in the museum at Wakulla Springs tn the mid 80's, or was it in Jacksonville?  There are lots of Jakes I guess, but now that I think about it, I think it ws Ol' Joe I saw. LOL. This write reminds me of sinkholes and lakes and the Springs, where I swam faster than usual, thanks to those gators.
I enjoyed reading every line of this!

MsSouthernOrchid
since 2003-07-12
Posts 192

3 posted 2003-10-13 05:05 PM

Glad you both enjoyed the story. Midnitesun, I take it that you grew up in Florida also? I grew up in South Florida, near Fort Myers, and back then I was used to seeing gators in the canals and sunning themselves on the canal banks. As a child I heard many tales from the old timers about gators, bears, snakes,etc. Some of them seemed like pretty tall tales too, far-fetched, but that only added to the enjoyment of hearing them. LOL
Susan, I am glad you enjoyed the story also, and thanks to both of you for taking the time to let me know. It's appreciated.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2003-10-13 08:58 PM

Actually, I grew up in southern California, but I lived in Tally almost four years, a few blocks from FSU. I still remember the purple wysteria blossoms in the spring, azaleas and rhododendrons blooming everywhere in Tallahassee, the fun of swimming in the sinkholes and lakes and going to St Georges(?)Island, the Gulf, and the Atlantic.  I also remember the 'dog days' of summer, when the humidity is as high as the thermometer readings.
My, but this write of yours brought back a flood of memories for me!

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
5 posted 2003-10-21 02:55 PM

Thank for posting this piece. It's nice to read something worth my efforts without trying to understand what it is they are  trying to say.  You are a fine writer.
MsSouthernOrchid
since 2003-07-12
Posts 192

6 posted 2003-10-21 04:34 PM

Hi Merlynh,
    I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. Thank you for letting me know. It tends to build up the confidence.

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
7 posted 2003-10-24 04:52 PM

I came and read this piece again, this time picking at it while rubbing my tongue on my teeth.  It passed the test and read real smooth.  I think maybe you ought to put your hand to given some of your stuff over to those people who pay you for puting words together.  I'll look for other post. Keep it up.
MsSouthernOrchid
since 2003-07-12
Posts 192

8 posted 2003-10-24 08:30 PM

Thanks again Merlynh. I am so happy you like it!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2003-10-25 08:54 AM

Yes, I read this when you first posted it, and was as pleased with it then, as I am now.  Again, I will suggest a line break after each paragraph.  Thank you so much.  Please, give us another offering soon!
MsSouthernOrchid
since 2003-07-12
Posts 192

10 posted 2003-10-26 07:21 AM

Hi Sunshine,
    Glad you liked the story and thanks for the suggestion about the line breaks.I will remember that the next time.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Old Jake-Fiction

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary