navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Memories of an Artist (for JM, I haven't forgotten what you said)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Memories of an Artist (for JM, I haven't forgotten what you said) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2003-08-31 12:31 PM

An abandoned palette stands alongside a folded dusty easel. Half-empty paint tubes lay scattered haphazardly nearby. Withered wisteria weeps its flowers silently outside the door. No footsteps are heard on the meandering pathway to the cottage in the woods. Gone are the twinkling stars in the midnightblue skies, now ebony and cold. The hands of a proud artist long ago folded themselves in silent resignation.
   "I shall still the brush," he said, "for it no longer bleeds true on the canvas of life."
    I visit this scene in my mind, understanding it well, even as my heart wants no part of this visitation.  A mere handful of grey dust and the remnants of a weakly placed footprint are all that remain of his painful walk upon this earth. But unlike Vincent, his treasures will never be displayed for all the world to see, as his last desperate act was to destroy all that his heart and hands had made. He had burned all but the artists tools and a blank canvas.
    As I silently walk away from this memory, my heart skips a beat, and I sigh heavily. For upon my own wall hangs a forgotten self-portrait he gifted me long ago, when the skies and the waters still seemed pristine.

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (08-31-2003 12:35 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2003-08-31 10:26 PM

This so reminds me of Van Gogh, and his last questionable painting.  Very nicely done Kacy.  Your images took me right there with you, also with the emotion of the write.  I am probaby wrong, but it sure felt a dedication to Van Gogh?

I don't want to know where I am heading, it will spoil my journey.
Carpe' Diem        

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2003-09-01 12:02 PM

Withered wisteria weeps
=====================

I am moth giddy from the allits
Kacy...you are destined for prose...
just look at the imagery and vocabulary in this...and you created it all in only a couple paragraphs...
I am soooo tickled to find this tonite...
thank you for listening to me...( it dont happen often)
very cool prosey offering girlie...
and welcome back..glad to see your all moved and back on line.

would the moth be greedy asking for more lol

When was the last time you felt high
Oh you were the best I've ever felt
Its so wrong not to be with you
Its getting harder to stay away.

SH

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
3 posted 2003-09-01 12:57 PM

Last year, when I thought about painting again, I dug out my old "box" and rummaged around looking for what may still be servicable.
The brushes were all fine and brought back wonderful memories, but the tubes were all hardened....A testament to the time passed were the price tags on them. (.75 cents! on some...all were under a buck!)
These days, the same tubes are 4 and 5 dollars.
Sadly, when I again tried this pastime, the brushes seemed alien, like I'd never held them.

I'm thinking of trying again now...been rethinking the approach...MORE PAINT!

See what this did Kacy? Not at all a bad thing.

Ed

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
4 posted 2003-09-01 12:59 PM

Yes...A wonderful write
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2003-09-01 10:37 AM

Sharon, van Gogh is never far from my mind. This WAS triggered by a passage I read in the book 'Lust for Life' by Irving Stone. But it also pertains to any artist who walks away from his/her heart and soul if the paintbrush=life's blood. Thanks for commenting.

JM, I had a feeling you'd like the allit line.
Yes, there are more of these in the making. Thank you so much for your continued encouragement!

Ed! go get some new paints, all you really need is half a dozen tubes and a few small canvasses!
LOL, I have bought so many supplies for my daughter, but recently bought EXTRA supplies to stimulate my own return to using brushstrokes as well as pen and keyboard to 'release' what's in my heart and mind.  Just do it (God I'm so sick of that overdone phrase, and yet? it's really apropos. See ya on canvas....
literally would be nice. HMMMM...

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
6 posted 2003-09-01 10:50 AM

Wonderful paint, Kasy!  Touching and tender.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2003-09-01 10:54 AM

Martie, thanks! Responses like this will only encourage me more, to paint and to write more prose. thank you
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2003-09-02 12:34 PM

Kacy,
I love all the depth of thought this generates. And especially all the vivid pictures it conjures up in my mind. So very well done.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2003-09-02 12:35 PM

thank you!
So maybe you will spend a moment and read part 2, which I just now posted.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2003-09-03 02:39 PM

More prose?
Assuredly so.
I saw the alliteration...
I knew the face of the moth...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Memories of an Artist (for JM, I haven't forgotten what you said)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary