navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Advantage of a Broken Heart
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Advantage of a Broken Heart Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-04-07 09:34 PM

The Advantage of a Broken Heart
By Larry Chadwick
Learning from the past…

Life is not fair and most of us have numerous examples to offer as support to that argument.  And frequently pain is a premise for why the world is so cruel. As leprosy progresses the body deteriorates. I heard once that it was a result of the bodies loss of the sense of pain. Makes you rethink the value of pain.

How calloused would I have to be to feel no pain in my heart? The pains caused in relationships. Wrongs. Mistakes. Insensitivity. Loss. And even betrayal. To feel no pain as a result of any of those things would be comparable to eating a superb Italian meal without taste buds. Or like having a garden full of gorgeous aromatic roses without a sense of smell.

It is in the capacity to feel pain in my heart that I find the ability to offer healing to the broken heart of another. Oddly enough, the depth of my pain has the potential to increase my offering of comfort to others. Conversely, the less pain I feel or experience the less I have to offer to anyone. Not only am I unable to help I may also contribute to someone else’s pain. I believe a hardened heart is at risk to explode. And explosions usually harm those who are nearby. Our hearts were created to be broken.

April 7, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2003-04-07 10:11 PM

Oddly enough, the depth of my pain has the potential to increase my offering of comfort to others. Conversely, the less pain I feel or experience the less I have to offer to anyone. Not only am I unable to help I may also contribute to someone else’s pain. I believe a hardened heart is at risk to explode. And explosions usually harm those who are nearby. Our hearts were created to be broken.
==============================

then we are doing one hell of a job huh?
sending you mothy hugs for this one.

"and when we get to the pearly gates ...
we'll find what we called our sins were just mistakes."

Tom Kimmel

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-04-08 12:49 PM

JM,
Verging on overqualified! Peace to you dear friend...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2003-04-08 06:28 AM

Wise and compassionate words Larry...James
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
4 posted 2003-04-08 06:51 AM

I believe a hardened heart is at risk to explode
Yes indeed. I agree with you on this one. *hugs* beautiful write as usual

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
5 posted 2003-04-08 08:14 AM

This is such a wonderful write, thanks for sharing.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2003-04-09 12:22 PM

James,
Thank you kind sir, always.

Rhonda,
Kind seen that in life. And thank you for always being there. Peace.

Marshalzu,
You are so generous. Thank you.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
7 posted 2003-04-09 07:15 AM

Larry,
in school, i learnt about "higher orders of thinking" and used to scowl at the concept, for why should one set of thoughts/values be deemed superior over another...

i think this is a demonstration of "higher orders of thinking"...to rise above yourself and to endure pain in the hopes of reaching out to someone else...pretty admirable attitude there...

[This message has been edited by kaile (04-09-2003 12:10 PM).]

Flower
since 2003-03-15
Posts 240
California
8 posted 2003-04-09 08:42 PM

Great write this, but then most of your pieces I have read I have really liked.

Love reading all these great writes.
I write not!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
9 posted 2003-04-10 12:28 PM

kaile,
=========================
"higher orders of thinking"
=========================

Guess I'm not that well educated! And what tender words you offer. Your kindness is so good for this tender heart. Thank you.  

Flower,
Thank you so much. The short version of a long story...if I may. I took college english six times before I passed. I wrote poetry because it came from my emotions. Last year I heard a writer interviewed on NPR. She got her start writing poetry. It inspired me. Hopefully you see where this is headed:

Write! Please...

[This message has been edited by Larry C (04-11-2003 12:32 AM).]

Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
10 posted 2003-04-11 04:25 AM

This rings of truth.  We require empathy before we can help others, and empathy requires an understaning.  A broken heart leads to the understanding of pain and heartache and we can empathise with others that share our pain.  Also we would no know pleasure without pain.  Its only through the opposition of two elements that either gains meaning.  How would we know happiness if we never knew what sorrow was?

"The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness, for a cup that is full can hold no more."
-Roy Suenaka

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
11 posted 2003-04-12 01:04 AM

Wesley,
Nobody ever said life was easy! Excellent insights and thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
12 posted 2003-04-12 08:32 AM

Oh the Broken Hearted

Upon reading this prose on the advantage of a broken heart, which brought forth the question of “How calloused would I have to be to feel no pain in my heart?”  Well I have found that the calloused heart can be arrived at in a few short years and with repeated breaking.  The sensitivity of the heart, i.e. emotional attachments, do allow the person to love.  The isolation of the heart, lack of emotional attachment, or hardening the heart is a slow process.  A broken heart here, the death of a loved one there, shunning by friends or neighbors everywhere for making an unpopular choice, and all this repeating upon the years is enough to harden a heart.  Living life alone becomes easy as you begin to like finding things where you left them, you learn to scale down recipes to just one person, and the laundry is always yours to do. You close rooms off in the house, because one person doesn’t need so many rooms.  Like in the house the heart begins closing rooms also.  It’s not long before the welcome mat is removed from the front door, windows of curtains grow bars of iron, and security takes over for friendliness.  As for the pain of a broken heart or loneliness, just like physical pain, each year it gets easier to bare it even though it worsens.
So for the pain teaching, perhaps it does,
It could be those pains make you try harder for the prize.
Do not forget, continual breakage is not repairable.

A Broken vase may be repaired
Unless it has been ground to dust.

Gloom

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
13 posted 2003-04-12 10:56 AM

Gloom,
Much good food for thought. And perhaps I have on rare occasion witnessed such responses. However, like all of life, our responses are choices. We all make both good and bad choices. A few choose to stick by their bad choices inspite of the consequences. And lest I impose where it isn't desired, I'll state it briefly. God knows about personal sacrifice as he gave his son. All this pain will someday come to an end. As for me, I will endure to that end.

Your thoughtful response is much respected and appreciated. Perhaps it should be written and posted as a counter point. Thank you.

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
14 posted 2003-05-24 06:33 PM

Well expressed, Larry, you deserve a for such a wise, inspiring and compassionate write.

And you're still my favourite Saggitarius

Take care,
Melissa~

Intellectually I know that Canada is no better than any other country. Emotionally I KNOW that Canada is the best country in the world!

[This message has been edited by Honeybee (05-24-2003 06:33 PM).]

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
15 posted 2003-05-24 08:46 PM

I'm not entirely sure why this one was boosted up today of all days, but I do know that it was something I needed to read again. It hurts, but your words brought me a sense of comfort that I only feel when I'm totally numb... thank you
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
16 posted 2003-05-25 12:35 PM

ah my biggest fan...you have touched me yet again...h
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
17 posted 2003-05-25 10:20 PM

Melissa,
Bless you dear girl. You know I love a lady with 'tude! And thank you for your kindnesses.

Rhonda,
I'm guessing I've been there! Courage and peace to you. You have my thoughts and prayers.

helen,
I hope to always be your biggest fan! And I am still in debt to you as you touch me more than you know.
:kisses  &  

[This message has been edited by Larry C (05-25-2003 10:31 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Advantage of a Broken Heart

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary