navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » stairway to heaven
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic stairway to heaven Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
abbe
since 2003-01-20
Posts 131
michigan, usa

0 posted 2003-02-04 12:15 PM

Driving to work this morning, the clouds had opened and beautiful sunlight rays streamed through the gray, touching the earth with the warm glow. I went immediately back to my 6 yr old self, trudging barefooted along the ditch bank; improvised pole made from a stick and string with a safety pin tied to the end. Perfect for catching crawdads out of the dirty ditch water, which we would quickly drop into a rusted tin can… count at the end of the day to see who had the most and then dump back into the ditch water for the next day’s sport.

Bare toes kicking at clods of dirt in the cotton rows I walk beside, my very wise, brother James who is carrying the same equipment. He points to the sky at the suns rays pouring through to earth, looks down at his kid sister, and with all his grown up wisdom says, “That’s the opening to heaven there. See angels climb up and down it to God.”

“Really?” I ask in awe.

“Yep, and when someone dies that’s how they get up into the sky. They climb that light. It just opens up, and up they go.”

“Really?”

“Yep,” and for emphasis he added “I saw it in the Bible.” I totally knew he was telling me the truth. I believed it for years.

It was the first time I remember being fully taken in by the unquestioned wisdom of my older brother. The beginning of stories he would tell me – and I would swallow, hook, line and sinker – and often defend to my utter embarrassment while he would just smile, knowing where I had come up with some of my scatterbrained notions.

Even so, today, whenever I see the sky open and the sun's rays reach down to earth, touch it with golden glory – I am transported back to those Arkansas days. Happily, walking with my brother along the ditch row, completely understanding how very easy it is to climb up those rays of light and drop right into the lap of God.

© Copyright 2003 anne earle - All Rights Reserved
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
1 posted 2003-02-04 01:44 PM

Lovely write - lovely memory. Thanks for sharing.
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2003-02-05 04:11 AM

Beautiful thoughts...one of my favorites...James
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-02-05 11:36 AM

Long live scatterbrained notions...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-02-05 11:37 PM

It seems to me your brother was right. Excellent write.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Fariegirl
since 2003-02-05
Posts 147

5 posted 2003-02-06 12:22 PM

wonderful job, you should write a book someday, i would read it.
abbe
since 2003-01-20
Posts 131
michigan, usa
6 posted 2003-02-06 07:31 PM

you guys are all too good to me... yep you are.  thanks for your encouragement.  like most people i have quite the family and i enjoy "tellin' on 'em"...  

but you're in for it now.  cuz there's gonna be more.

thanks

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » stairway to heaven

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary