navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Bus Stop
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bus Stop Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2003-01-31 07:46 AM

Waiting for the bus on a gray January night, smoking a fairly cheep five dollar cigar and pondering the fact that five dollars once was the price of a Good cigar.  A light snow begins to fall drifting slowly down between the tall building to change from white to black as they touch the dirty street, but as the fluffy flakes are drifting they are lovely.  He sends a puff of pungent smoke to greet them on their descent watching as he leans on his cane wrapped in the warmth of his long black leather jacket.  Just a few others wait for the bus, but they stand back against the wall of the old store that once served coffee and pastries to the business people arriving to work.  How the window are plywood barriers and the clientele are spiders, rats and drug addicts that had hoped to escape.  There is no escape, except the bus to another place and a rearrangement of basic thoughts.  Drug addicts are just hard liner drunks and winos who spend their lives trying not to think just barely being.  A stripper from one of the less sleazy clubs walks up to the bus stop with her big bag of skimpy outfits and scrubbed clean of makeup.  She stares off into space and watches the snowflakes.  A blank expression comes over her and perhaps she is thinking of a time of her youth when snow meant fun and play.  The bus arrives and the small group slowly files in paying with small bits of cash or bus passes.  I climb in last being somewhat slower than the rest and easily find a seat on the nearly empty bus.
The snow has stopped as the bus begins moving once more through the dirty potholed streets.

Gloom

© Copyright 2003 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Match
since 2002-07-01
Posts 286
Canada Edmonton
1 posted 2003-01-31 01:55 PM

Nice I liked the way you described the people and the past
-ash

I'm just kickin it up

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2003-01-31 02:45 PM

I can imagine what you see through those eyes of yours each day PG, and that was a very, very vivid description of a very sad truth.  I see it here on passing only, but I see it.  Well done indeed.

~ The soul lies buried in ink that does not flow ~

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2003-02-07 12:35 PM

Nice descriptive writing...James
lorenlynn
since 2003-01-27
Posts 203
California Beaches
4 posted 2003-02-11 11:54 PM

Very visual and interesting.
Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
5 posted 2003-02-14 04:19 AM

A very engaging little story.  It drew me in enough to make me want more.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying.  Thats damn right!"  ~Shawshank Redemption

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

6 posted 2003-02-18 12:41 PM

In interesting piece.  Your sentences could use a little touching up.  They are rather awkward in some places.  

The whole piece is somewhat remeniscent of C.S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" with it's bus to another place.  All in all, though, you've created a dark world with a slight sense of embittered hope.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Bus Stop

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary