navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Shadow Of Warmth
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Shadow Of Warmth Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace

0 posted 2003-01-19 11:41 PM

Shadow Of Warmth

I woke this morning, not believing I was alive. How could this be? Was God not listening to me? Did he not understand? Did he not see I did not want to live in this pain? But here I was, with another morning, where the other part of my soul was missing. A gaping bloody hole was in me. Lungs filled with something that could not be air. For now I could not breathe. My heart somehow ended up on the outside of my body. Empty and flat, screaming for its partner…blood.

I lay in silent salt, trying to focus, wondering how this horrible accident had happened. Then a pain shot through me as I looked around, you were gone. I started grieving as my vocabulary had been broken and I did not know what good bye meant. I felt the yearning. It was such a cold burn. And time moved so slowly with boulders of sand slipping one by one through the glass. I could hear each one of them as they bounced off my temples.

Where were the words of comfort? Even when I saw someone speaking their lips moved with no sound. Food had quit being my friend and wants to leave me every time I try to introduce myself.

How is it you can be dying on the inside and living on the out? Learning how to become an academy winning acting princess. Now courage was gone and dreams had escaped from my grasp by ballooning to clouds.

I find myself by the sliding glass door, drinking my coffee, wondering if I can walk through it. Trying hard to hold back my hurt. Then I hear my momma, in my head saying, “Girl, let it go.”

I had placed my hand on the cold glass to steady myself and when I took my hand away. All I could see was…a shadow of warmth.

"It is like looking for a blizzard in a glass snowball. Unless you shake it up not one flake will fly."

© Copyright 2003 Helen Chambers - All Rights Reserved
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
1 posted 2003-01-20 08:52 AM

Remember your Momma is always or at least nearly always right. Brilliant read.  Thank you.
Zinsser
since 2001-02-27
Posts 1641
Calif.
2 posted 2003-01-22 03:19 PM

The pain is overwhelming in this write....
I'm sorry that your feeling it
~~ Connie ~~

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

3 posted 2003-01-22 04:22 PM

"I had placed my hand on the cold glass to steady myself and when I took my hand away. All I could see was…a shadow of warmth."

enjoyed this..though it speaks sadly of feeling alone and of the desperate feelings we get when sometimes...it just doesn't seem worth it.

the ending line however...
tells me there is still life..and still warmth...because the touch left a shadow of that on the cool glass.. no shadow...no heart...

good writing..I enjoyed.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Shadow Of Warmth

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary