navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Pop Your Buttons
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pop Your Buttons Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert

0 posted 2003-01-05 07:48 AM

POP YOUR BUTTONS

Reggie Rabbit was a very handsome rabbit.  He was very polite, a good student and went to church regularly.  He was also a fine brother and helpful son and neighbor, he was also very vain.  He was also a PIE THIEF.

A pie thief, an unstoppable pie thief at that.  Whenever Reggie's mother put fresh baked carrot and lettuce pies out on the ledge to cool, Reggie would grab one and run into the fields and eat the whole thing himself.  He was also stealing pies from the neighbors.

One evening when all the children were in bed the small town held a meeting to try and solve the problem of Reggie and his thieving ways.  Many suggestions were made and all of them turned down until Sally Field Mouse presented her idea,

She commented that Reggie's vanity could be his downfall if all the townsfolk pulled together.  The plan was a very simple one.  Jackets would be made, four in all, absolutely identical in every respect except size.  Reggie would receive the largest one as a birthday gift, whilst the other three, each one a little smaller than the last, would be hidden in the back of his parents closet.  The plan was that each time Reggie stole a pie his jacket would be switched for a smaller one, until eventually, he would pop his buttons.

Also, to help the cause, they would start talking about Reggie behind his back.  Although they would make sure that he would overhear their comments about his 'supposed' weight gain.

Laughter filled the air when Willie Weasel offered to donate some fine green velvet for the jackets.   Not recognized for his honesty he made it known that he should not be asked from where he had got such fine velvet.

Squidgy Squirrel supplied the very shiny gold buttons.  He had squirreled them away for a rainy day.  Stinky Spider furnished the thread.  So with plans made, the townsfolk returned to their homes, happy at the outcome of the meeting.

Reggie loved, truly loved, his fine new jacket, yet he was feeling a little hurt.  He had overheard two of his friends saying that he was getting a little pudgy.  Even his father had, affectionately of course, called him Tubbs.  Reggie could not understand it, his jacket was a perfect fit, and he certainly didn't feel or look any fatter.  At least he didn't think so.

A pie would cheer him up and Reggie knew for sure that Bogs Beaver had a couple cooling outside his river home.  How Bogs laughed when he saw Reggie steal a pie.  That night Reggie's mother traded his fine jacket for one just a little smaller.

How shocked Reggie was the next morning when his jacket felt a little tight, snugger than usual.  Vowing to stop eating so much he did quite well.  Then temptation once again reared its ugly head, this time on his mother's ledge, he couldn't resist, and he stole another pie.

That evening the jacket was traded for yet a smaller one and in the morning when Reggie got dressed he could feel the seams of his fine green jacket begin to give way.  If this was not bad enough all his friends and neighbors seemed to be snickering behind their hands at him, he had heard words like ‘fatso’ and 'piggy' directed at him, and his feelings were terribly hurt.  Poor Reggie was feeling very sorry for himself; maybe another pie would ease his pain.  So another pie was taken and the last and smallest jacket made its way into his closet.

The next afternoon Reggie was invited to a birthday party, when he got ready and put his jacket on it was unbelievably small.  He strained and struggled to button it up, it seemed as though he could barely breathe because it was so tight.  He also knew his mother would say "no jacket, no party," so without a doubt he had to wear it.  Everyone sang Happy Birthday to Dickie Duck whose party it was, Dickie's mother wheeled in an enormous cake smothered in candles.  All the children at the party would take turns in blowing out the candles, and whoever blew out the most would receive a special prize.  It was finally Reggie's turn, and as he blew out the candles, to his great embarrassment, he popped his buttons.  They flew everywhere and everyone laughed at poor Reggie.  He ran away from the party and went straight home and to his room.  Reggie cried and vowed that he would never steal another pie.

Nothing was ever said about the incident.  Every time a pie was out and Reggie didn't steal it his mother would change the jacket size until finally, one day; he was back in his very own jacket.  It fit him absolutely perfectly.  Reggie was so happy, and all the townsfolk were equally happy because they never had their pies stolen again.

© Copyright 2003 das - All Rights Reserved
amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
1 posted 2003-01-10 08:01 PM

This is an amazing piece.  Reminds me of the wisdom in Aesops fables.  I like it very much.

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
2 posted 2003-01-10 08:03 PM

Thank you, it was a fun piece to write.

I am an enigma, even unto myself.
A puzzle unsolved, a mystery maybe until beyond death.  ©das

lorenlynn
since 2003-01-27
Posts 203
California Beaches
3 posted 2003-02-04 01:56 PM

I liked this, better still my children liked it.

Wisdom comes with winters. **  Oscar Wilde.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-02-04 10:07 PM

SPIRIT,
Well, a talent to be coveted...creativity! And such excellence. I love it. Wish I had a little one to read it to.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
5 posted 2003-02-04 10:34 PM

Thank you for the kind comments, greatly appreciated.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Pop Your Buttons

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary