navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » She Was Skinny
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic She Was Skinny Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

0 posted 2002-12-11 10:17 AM

I have to go to the doctor. I’ve always hated going to the doctor, but not because I’m afraid of needles or anything. I hate it because every time I go to the doctor they weigh me on their scale and every time my mother stands directly behind me.  Every time I hope it won’t go past 120, but I know that it will. I haven’t been 120 since 6th grade.  My mother sighs when it stops at 138 and without looking at her, I can feel her shaking her head in disgust.

I remember once she told me that I should only ever weigh 120, and 125 at the most. She said the name of this woman (I guess I was supposed to know who she was) who was a model and almost 30. She only weighed 116. That day I bought cheesecake from a store and when she saw me she pinched my fat until I cried out and she said, “Well it wouldn’t hurt if it wasn’t there, now would it?”

I explained to my mother once that muscle weighs more than fat does, and considering I was running 5 miles everyday I had probably built on my muscles. She said that I was still eating too much junk. Mommy knew as well as I did that I only ate once a day. A small cup of tomato soup, a salad with no dressing, an apple, an orange…

(One time I cried even when mommy wasn’t standing there. The nurse looked and looked, but saw nothing.)

So I’m going to the doctor today for a CAT scan. I have severe headaches and they want to make sure my brain is alright. They may not weigh me because I was there last week. 138.

“Soon you’ll be as fat as I am,” she said.

A couple nights later I woke up in the middle of the night. I’ve been sleeping on the couch because I’m redecorating my room. I was about to roll over when I heard someone in the bathroom. They were throwing up. I thought maybe my brother was sick. I got up and looked into his room, but he was asleep.

I crawled back into the blankets on the couch. When I heard the bathroom door open I pretended to be asleep. I peaked though, just a tiny bit.

Mommy walked out of the bathroom with a bottle of Scope in her hand.

i was here

© Copyright 2002 Jaime - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2002-12-11 09:47 PM

Now I better understand your reply on my prose piece...
this breaks my heart for so many reasons...
some of which are the reflections I see in your words..and for others I love that know this cycle as well.
Many of them find writing a healing release, I hope the same for you. You wrote this so that I felt it..thats a gift...
Im just sorry anyone has to experience these things. Be who you are hon...thats all we can do... hugs to you Jaime

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

2 posted 2002-12-11 10:21 PM

I must say, again, I am in awe of your skill. You write people into life. hugs...

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
3 posted 2002-12-11 11:51 PM

a bloody cacth-22, busy body or apathetic, there does not seem to be difference.

where's daddy?

and people wonder why so many of us say that the fashion industry should be canned.

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

Ephraim
since 2002-12-07
Posts 24

4 posted 2002-12-13 03:26 PM

You put into words here.... what you're feeling, what you're seeing, the good and the bad... all with blunt, painful honesty and detachment.

You should continue with this prose thing.

~Ephraim

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
5 posted 2002-12-14 12:44 PM

this was haunting.

a subject i know all too well.  you did a great job telling the story.  keep going.  please.

/jen/

'i don't care if it hurts, i want to have control.  i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul.'  [radiohead]

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
6 posted 2002-12-17 11:59 PM

Jaime~
This is such a heartbreaking write.
I felt every word of this as I read
and I just wanted to hug you.
You have told this story in such an effective
manner that it comes alive for the reader.
You are a very talented writer, my friend.
Keep writing and I'll keep reading.
Hugs,
~Vicky

"...until you have read the verse on his heart,
you have not truly met the poet.
~vlraynes

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » She Was Skinny

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary