navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Growth of a Son
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Growth of a Son Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2002-08-22 12:51 PM

The Growth of a Son
By Larry Chadwick
A true experience.

It was an enlightening day when I finally figured out what my dad’s flaws were. After all I had some practice at being a parent. My dad had not found a way to correct these problems and clear things up between us. It seemed only appropriate that I should offer him my assistance through these newly acquired insights.

So I set about preparing a letter that would list my complaints line by line. Common, I believe, to many young men was the challenge that their fathers are so consistently distracted by their careers and the time constraints that creates. There was a certain element of satisfaction when I prepared and sent my letter.

It was the response that I had not expected. My dad willingly acknowledged his weaknesses. I was even less prepared for the details of his own childhood that revealed parenting skills of far lesser ability than I was trying to correct in his parents. My dad was modeling things he had never personally experienced. And I was seeing for the first time that he was doing it much better than I was willing to give him credit. Again my dad was finding opportunity to educate his eldest.

I was compelled to concede to my father that he was doing a good job of parenting. And over the years this lesson helped me appreciate my dad’s parenting. It seems I had chosen my parents better than I had assumed.

The phone rang the other day. It was a pleasant surprise to hear my son’s voice. I always love it when he calls. It turns out he had an agenda. He wanted me to know that my parenting skills had greatly improved in the past year and he really appreciated it. I remember being that age but didn’t realize that my turn was coming. Funny, but in evaluating the past year I discovered nothing had really changed. Well…at least not in my techniques. Interesting isn’t it how each generation matures in such similar ways. Nothing beats having a capable father.

August 22, 2002 (Rest in peace.)

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (08-22-2002 04:17 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2002-08-22 04:10 PM

Your humilty touches me ...
your insight teaches me.
Thank you for that wise poet.
jm

In the space between now and then
I lost the fire, lost a friend
and Ill never be the same again
Still, I believe in the innocence
we gave away.

Gemini
since 1999-12-15
Posts 1203
Wisconsin, USA
2 posted 2002-08-22 08:03 PM

Thank you for this inspirational read.  It seems things do eventually come around that go around, its just that sometimes it seems to take a little longer.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2002-08-23 12:27 PM

JM,
Thank you and your kind words overwhelm me.

Gemini,
So true, and thanks for reading.  

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (08-23-2002 12:19 PM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2002-08-23 02:36 AM

You are wonderful, a wise old owl.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2002-08-24 02:53 AM

Kacy,
Maybe...but I have learned that wisdom comes with much pain. Thanks.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2002-08-24 03:02 AM

I am sorry for your pain. It would be wonderful if life would settle down for a while, and let you catch your breath.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2002-08-24 08:05 AM

Larry, thank you for the floodgates.

Daughters do this, too.

My mother called once to tell me "all that was going wrong" and I proceeded to tell her in my newly-found-adult-status-of-being-treated-like-an-equal what I perceived to be her "small" shortcomings and how best to correct the situation.

Have you ever heard silence thud?

She had not called to receive a bandaid, she had called to unload and have someone whom she thought could be a shoulder "just LISTEN".  

I forget exactly how many months went by before she talked to me again, and even then, it was stilted.

Gladly, and luckily for me, I learned from that, and she finally found comfort in sharing with me [a long time down the road, but it came].  Unless asked for, I have never offered advice since.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2002-08-25 01:30 AM

Kacy,
You know me...no pity requested. But your sympathy I glady accept! Thanks.

Karilea,
Funny how so many of us have been in that place. But it does feel odd to have your children repeat the cycle on you. Experience...what a wonderful thing.

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
9 posted 2002-09-28 09:59 PM

I'm not a parent yet but I'll keep this in mind for when I am. Thank you for the wisdom in this Larry. God bless!

--Beth

Howl at the stars, whisper when you're sleeping, I'll be there to hold you, I'll be there to stop the chills and all the weeping.

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
10 posted 2002-09-28 11:58 PM

You are an awesome Dad.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
11 posted 2002-09-29 01:43 AM

Beth,
Aw. You make me feel so good. Especially about your generation! I sure do like you a lot. Thanks.

Kellie,
Thank you. It's the greatest thing of my life.

cpalmer
since 2001-06-26
Posts 977
Phoenix, Az
12 posted 2003-02-04 03:18 PM

Oh Larry,
This is just fantastic!  I don't have any experience in being a father, but I'm sure you have done a beautiful job with your son.  I know you loved your father very much....may he rest in peace!
Love you
Cindi

God is our inspiration; Words of the heart can be music to our ears
Cpalmer

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
13 posted 2003-02-04 03:59 PM

I had a father who never shortchanged us of his presence. He was loving, kind and my mother's strengths covered his weaknesses. I was so lucky. My children weren't that lucky and my one regret is that they did not have the benefit of a caring, present father.  Your children must really appreciate you as you did your father. Very nice writing, as usual.
poohbear19
since 2003-02-02
Posts 94
Colorado, USA
14 posted 2003-02-04 06:17 PM

Your humilty touches me ...
your insight teaches me.

I don't even know my dad.

Andrea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
15 posted 2003-02-04 10:01 PM

Cindi,
You don't have the right equipment...thank goodness! And thank you for such kind words. Yup, miss my pops.

SPIRIT,
Oh the unfairness of life. I'm sure your children have taken great strength from their mom. But always hard times do have benefits. And thank you for such kindness.

Andrea,
Wow, welcome to Passions. How fun to find you in Prose. And thank you for such kindness. Peace and courage to you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Growth of a Son

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary