navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tabby Moon (7 of 8)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tabby Moon (7 of 8) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now

0 posted 2002-08-14 09:17 AM

Tabby Moon (7 of 8)

Early January, 2000

I turned off the TV quickly and sat there blinking for a long time. I hadn’t just seen and heard any of that, had I? God, no...

I’d been flipping through the channels, and stopped on the news when I saw a picture that looked like Seth. The newscaster had been talking about the guy in the picture. He was a suspect in five murder cases across Canada; all girls in their late teens and early twenties. All the victims seemed to be on the more out-there side of living (there were pictures of all five girls shown, and most of them were grunge, but there was at least one punk). Friends of the girls said this guy (who had claimed a different name for each girl) seemed perfect for the girl. And they’d all ended up strangled then bled on the night of the new moon.

“Tabitha!” I ran up the stairs to her room.

“Yo, Bro?” Her door was open.

“I was just watching the news, and--”

“Me too, Bro. I’ve got a TV in here.”

“Tabby, it was Seth. Did you see that?”

She shrugged. “Maybe.”

“It was him.”

She laughed. “Cool, so I’m dating a murderer. Think I can tame the wild beast in him?”

“Tabby, this is serious.”

“Look, Neil, I’m going with him to a rave tomorrow. I’ll ask him about it.”

“You think he’ll just admit to being a murderer?”

“Hey, he’s admitted to willingly being Catholic for his entire life until last year; he’ll admit to anything.”

“Tabby--”

“I can take care of myself, Bro. Even if this guy is a murderer, leave it be. No way would he ever hurt me. I know that, and none of your doubt’s going to make me feel otherwise.”

“Did you listen to a word I said, Tabitha?”

“Yes. I listened to everything. It’s just total BS, I’m sorry. Seth’s the greatest guy I’ve ever met. He’s perfect. Yeah, that’s got to mean there’s something wrong with him, but it doesn’t mean he’s psycho. At least, he’s no more psycho than I am.”

“The picture looked just like him, Tabitha.”

“Sure. There’s more than one guy with long blonde hair, Neil. I’m sorry to tell you. You can’t assume it’s Seth just because he’s the only one you know.”

“Just be careful, Tabby. Okay?”

“Okay. I’ll keep away from him on the new moon, but that’s all I’ll promise.”

“Thanks.”

“But it’s 2000 now, Bro. I’m done experimenting; tried everything I wanted to do. Would it matter if I die?”

I left her room.

She was very mad at me; that much was obvious. No one was allowed to enter her life and pop her bubble of the perfect world. After that day, we kind of drifted apart. She spent more time blasting Idol and disappearing with Seth than anything else. I knew she was going to go back on her promise to keep away from Seth on the new moon. Her straight-man brother couldn’t tell her what to do if she didn’t ask for his advice in the first place. That’s how things worked.

It was a few days before the new moon when she finally talked to me again. It was just a quick ‘bye as she headed out the door with Seth (who looked at me with the same distrust as I felt for him), but she paused there once he was out. “He ‘fessed up to it, Bro. But living on the edge is so damn cool, don’t you think?”

I couldn’t tell if she was taunting me or if I should beg her to not go out that door. Instead, I pretended to have not heard. “Dad wants you home for supper tonight.”

She gave me a thumb’s up and shut the door behind them.

impress me, or be discarded

mpc

© Copyright 2002 LL Hager - All Rights Reserved
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
1 posted 2002-08-14 10:34 AM

This is an interesting development
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tabby Moon (7 of 8)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary