navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Monica
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Monica Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
pmc
since 2000-03-09
Posts 48
Germany

0 posted 2002-07-18 11:59 AM

Monica

In the middle of a village there was a garden that was neglected and so full of weeds that the people of the village would pass by and remark about the sorry state of the garden.
Then one day a bird flying overhead, dropped a seed in the corner of the garden and on the next day there had bloomed a most wonderful flower with golden petals, pink and white blossom and leaves of lush green.
The people of the village were amazed at the beauty of the flower and said to one another “We are truly blessed that such a flower could ever bloom in our village”
From all the surrounding towns and villages people came to admire, and the flower was very happy.

One day the mayor of the village came and said to the flower “Dearest flower this is a poor village but if you were to give me some of your golden petals I could sell them and with the money I will build a splendid monument and attract lots more visitors to the village” The flower thought to herself “I have many petals and will not miss a few”, so she gave away her finest petals.

That night in a storm, there came some strangers to the village. Seeing that they were lost and alone the flower took pity and said “ Don’t be afraid, take one of my leaves and build a shelter next to me. I will protect you from the storm. The strangers were glad, and they took ropes and fastened their shelter to the flower and the flower was happy.

Next day the women of the village came to see the flower. They said they needed to decorate the church and asked if they could have some pink and white blossom.
The flower thought to herself “What need do I have of blossom” and so she gave them most of her blossom to decorate the church.

As time went on, the children of the village saw that the flower had lost most of her golden petals, her blossom and her leaves and they were worried that soon there would be nothing left for them. They decided to go to the flower and say they were hungry. They asked if they could have a few roots to make some soup to drink.
The flower took pity on the children and said to herself “I have lots of roots that go deep into the earth, but I also have these ropes that the strangers have fastened to me. They will hold me steady against the wind. And so the flower gave the children most of her roots.

Sadly not long after, the strangers who by now were good friends with the flower came and said they had to return to their homeland. They kissed the flower and started to loosen their ropes.

The flower was very sad and afraid and when the wind and the rain came she started to tremble and shake.

The mayor, the women and the children of the village all looked out on the flower and asked each other “What is wrong with our flower? Why can’t she stand straight.?”

But God looked down on the flower and took pity.
He said “You foolish flower, you have given away everything that a flower needs to survive.”
Now you must come to me and I will protect you against the wind and the rain.

PMC 18.07.2002

[This message has been edited by pmc (07-18-2002 12:04 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Patrick McFadden - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2002-07-19 12:00 PM

foolish...but willing to give...not sure where the title fits in though

you told this story in a beautiful way..
M

pmc
since 2000-03-09
Posts 48
Germany
2 posted 2002-07-20 10:59 AM

Thanks.

The title fits in because it is the name of the lady who has just died.
She was always there when we needed her. only no one was there when she needed help.

I have just come from her funeral.

regards
pmc

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2002-07-20 10:57 PM

A beautiful story you have shared of Monica...James
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2002-07-21 11:43 AM

It is a beautiful story, pmc, and I thank you for sharing this...it is so like people to discard the elderly because we think they are no longer needed, and we are so very, very wrong...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Monica

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary