navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I'm Sorry
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic I'm Sorry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kosetsu
since 2001-03-10
Posts 450
Alabama, USA

0 posted 2002-04-13 12:28 PM

She walked solemnly, quietly; no need to be nervous. She intended to do what she’d said she would do. Cobalt blue eyes opened slowly, drifted, and closed. Children laughed; she could hear their shrill voices bouncing around inside the hollow shell of consciousness that she’d become in the last few hours. Someone hurried past her; she felt them brush her arm. The sweet aroma of freshly baking pastries encircled her, and reminded her that she had not eaten; it didn’t matter. She wouldn’t need food.

She was aware of a hand passing through her pale blonde hair, and slowly registered it as her own; the hand trailed down, fingers played across her face, her eyes opened, and she peered through those fingers as if through a spider’s web. As the fingers trailed down off her cheek, she felt a warm liquid on her fingertips – tears? She had no reason to shed tears. She would do as she’d said she would do.

Consciousness jarred her; sound cracked in her skull, light flooded her senses, and she stumbled; a playing child had unwittingly run into her. Those hazy cobalt eyes came to bear on the girl, a tiny blonde haired creature with baby teeth intact and small, unbloodied hands clutched about the body of a rag doll. She felt herself lowering to one knee; a hand held out towards the girl. Timidness glittered in curious emerald irises, but after a moment of deliberation, the rag doll was thrust towards the outstretched hand, and a soft voice whispered, “Dolly.”

Trembling fingers reached towards the doll, but stopped short; flickers of memory pierced the haze that clouded those cobalt eyes. A woman screamed as a soldier’s bullet ripped through her child; an old man cradled the bleeding form of a little girl, begged for help, and was ignored. A politician walked through the street, spouting promises of peace and plenty, then kicked a child that begged for a mere coin with which to buy some scrap of food; soldiers stormed a schoolyard, rifles cracked, and children lay dead and dying in the street. She’d seen these things; she’d experienced them first hand. A breeze danced across her flesh, but it did not carry the scents of blood and smoke; this place seemed untouched by such things.

She became aware of a tugging at her sleeve – the girl child. Hazy cobalt eyes focused on a smiling pixie face, and she found herself returning the look with a sad smile. A hand drifted into her pocket, and withdrew with a small cylinder in hand; a cord ran from its end into her jacket, and a small red button crowned it. A hand lifted, and lightly petted the girl child’s hair. Her thumb depressed the button.

“I’m sorry.”

“A blast ripped through downtown New York City today when a fifteen year old girl detonated a bomb she’d strapped to her body. Twenty-three people died; sixty-two were injured. In other news, the Braves won their first game of the season when...”
---------------
This was inspired by a local newscast that went more or less like that; I don't remember it all, but the newscaster spoke casually about the latest suicide bombing in Jerusalem, then immediately switched to miniscule thing like a baseball game or something. Just something to make the Americans here think.

-Adam

"If life is so significant, then why do we die?"

[This message has been edited by Kosetsu (04-13-2002 12:28 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Adam Kamerer - All Rights Reserved
PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
1 posted 2002-04-17 03:33 PM

This is incredibly sad!! However it does hit very close to the heart. What a sadly fascinating piece.

Patience is the ability to idle your motor, when you feel like stripping your gears. Author Unknown

J. K. Mitchell
since 2002-01-12
Posts 311
GA
2 posted 2002-04-22 06:48 PM

You've got some serious emotions flowing through this.  
It's sad but good.

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
3 posted 2002-04-24 07:24 AM

This is incredibly moving and realistic.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I'm Sorry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary