navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » With You In Death
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic With You In Death Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Morcastlin
since 2002-01-14
Posts 244
The Jersey Shore, USA

0 posted 2002-03-15 08:49 AM

*This is an obviously fictional piece. It's more of a short story, I guess. I hope that's okay.

I walk numbly along the sodden streets. The low fog blurring my vision, the mist curling about my ankles, like shackles undermining my escape. Still, I could see the horror that surrounded me and the smell..oh God, the stench of death filled my nostrils in a most unwelcomed fashion. It all came so quickly. The Black Death swam up to London Town on an unlikely trading vessel...The Maiden Anne. None saw the terror coming in on the low tide. Yet, by morning the people were mad with fear, including myself. I had been up all through that fateful night tending Mistress Adela in childbirth. The poor babe hadn't a chance to live. I had been so grateful that my own wee ones had been born of a robust nature. Silly now to think of that. Both, my 3 year old daughter, Millie, and 5 year old son, Edward, were tossed into the common grave this morn. As well as their father....my loving husband, Richard. My family is gone. I haven't broken down yet. I say to myself: "You must be strong, Mary." Still, I feel my resolve weakening. Why should I stay strong? I have nothing left to be strong for! I can hear my neighbors howling in misery for their dead and dying. I shun the thought of joining them in their sorrow even as I yearn to give myself up to my own. I'm so tired. Everything is so gray...my world no longer in color. It all is falling away. The shock of it has taken grip of my whole being and I am blinded by it. I feel the cool wind rushing past my cheeks and my feet slapping against the sickly ground. Am I running? So quickly, so painfully sweet, I see visions of my husband, my children...visions of them in health and in the throes of death... Why? Why was I left behind? I could feel my heart doing a strange and frantic dance in my chest and I hear an animal whimpering nearby... There is something in my hands. I came to realize this as my eyes grew more focused. Where am I? What have I done? I look around in stark confusion and I see. I see... I came to the common grave, was digging through the bodies. Oh, God...sweet, little Millie, my baby, is looking at me with sightless eyes that seem to be pleading for me. I'm holding her tiny and pale hand in my own. It's so cold, so lifeless. I snuggled down next to her, whimpering: "It's alright, my darling. Mommy is here. Mommy is here now, where she belongs...with you."

© Copyright 2002 Bonnie B. Hayes - All Rights Reserved
Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

1 posted 2002-03-15 11:36 AM

My gosh... Very well written... I got about halfway through and realised my jaw was hanging open. Thank you.
Morcastlin
since 2002-01-14
Posts 244
The Jersey Shore, USA
2 posted 2002-03-15 12:55 PM

Oh, thank you for reading it! I'm glad you liked it!

Love,
Bonnie

amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
3 posted 2002-03-15 10:04 PM

This is a very powerful piece and it just pulled me in.  I am absolutely stunned by the emotion.  You have portrayed the loss, the powerlessness and grief very well.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2002-03-16 09:25 AM

Yes...very good!  I would like to see more prose from you...

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

5 posted 2002-03-16 07:56 PM

Morcastlin:

This was a great piece.  Very deep and very dark.  This is definitely a style of writing I like.  Thanks for sharing.  This is definitely one for my library!

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » With You In Death

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary