navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Of Foolish Human Pursuit: Nothing
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Of Foolish Human Pursuit: Nothing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2002-03-03 07:58 PM

Dusk

"It's nothing."

I looked down at him.  He was listening intently to the reports as they streamed in through my PDTD.  They held a bittersweet optimism, reporting that several enemy positions had been captured, but that losses on both sides had been extreme.  We knew the feeling.

The sky around our tent lit up with fiery passion.  "You're bleeding."

He looked up at me with a funny look.  "Aren't we all?"

I had nothing to say in response to that.  This guy was always so darned deep in his speech.  It was a wonder he had any social life at all, with all that deep thought and reflection.  How does a man like that get thrown into a place like this?

"You should get some sleep," I said.  "It's late and we've a lot to do in the morning."

"We're winning, aren't we?"

Dawn

It fell on us like some horrible affliction.  We were cut off from the world in a blur of grey and black.  

"Mortar!"

I arched my back and well backward, into some old demented hole left behind some time earlier.  Shreads of flesh and dirt flew past above me, and I could almost hear their vultured squealing through the air.

It's always been a rule of thumb.  Nobody ever escapes a mortar unharmed.  Period.  For me, it was an emotional hole, just like the one in which I hid.  There was a familiar muffled voice coming from beyond the confines of my tiny sanctuary.  

I crawled cautiously out, to find my friend, lying there bleeding.  The blood flowed into the mud and he was slated to go with Earth now.  He was leaving hell and going home.

"You're bleeding."

The guy stared at me blankly, and then glared at me like some teacher frustrated with his student.

"Won't you ever learn?"

I shook my head.  For me this wasn't a lesson.  This was reality.

"We all lose our life to this.  We all bleed away ourselves."

I stared into his eyes, as the dirt on my face was washed away.  It was time for me to leave.  The war was ours, that was certain.  

"Just remember one thing when you sing about the way I and all my companions died.  Lest you forget."

I listened.

"All this..This is nothing."

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

© Copyright 2002 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2002-03-06 04:18 PM

fractal - i've read quite a few of your prose pieces by now, and i see the same thing over and over: a good idea, with little to no exploration. you kind of just plop a few sentences down, then hit with a big line and leave it there. i think on e of the biggest strengths of prose vs. poetry is the ability to go into more detailed depth of a subject without losing the attention of your audience (if done right, of course). poetry is very good for condensing images and ideas before the punch line, but you have more leeway here... consider using that leeway to expand/explore some of your subject matter a little - you might be happy with what you come up with.

Chris

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2002-03-07 05:28 PM

Christopher:

Hm...  I'll try and take you up on your advice.  Sounds like, for me, some experiments are in order...  

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
3 posted 2002-03-07 10:51 PM

I liked this piece greatly, Kevin, I had an almost Shakespearean moment with Macbeth coming to mind.

I found myself stumbling a few moments though.. I don't know what a PDTD is, for one. What really threw me off was this statement: "The blood flowed into the mud and he was slated to go with Earth now." Go with Earth? Is Earth a person?

Other than that, I really enjoyed this story, and as Chris said, I would greatly enjoy seeing a longer piece from you.

"A hard, cold wisom is required for goodness to accomplish good. Goodness without wisdom always accomplishes evil" - Robert Heinlein

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2002-03-09 07:38 AM

Dusk Trader:

Glad someone picked up on that little symbol I threw in for good measure

"Go with Earth? Is Earth a person?"

Sorta.  I put that in there as a bit of a mix between some of the personification of Earth found in "All Quiet on the Western Front" and the religious imagery of "Going with God" when we die, that is sometimes found in funeral eulegies.  So, I decided to use Earth as the "God-figure" since it was one of the only major things that was a definite reality.

I included the PDTD for cultural ambience, I guess.  It means "Personal Data Transfer Device."  

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

-- Magus

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Of Foolish Human Pursuit: Nothing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary