navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Odd
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Odd Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
mauddib
since 2002-01-12
Posts 119
melbourne australia

0 posted 2002-01-21 04:40 PM

Oddly, it was a statement by my sister Liz that I found most hard to reconcile.  She said that I took things too personally. I know of no other way.  Words can bruise just as easily as sticks and stones.

Don't you think it strange that we find it neccessary to teach our young the nursery rhyme where names can never hurt you?  What is it we are trying to teach?  How to be tough?  How to be insensitive?  Then what do we deny and what are the consequences?

Language is primarily a vehicle for emotion.  A tool.  Any other consequence of language, such as knowledge or even logic, is an accident.  A side effect.  But to deny emotions by covering them up with a culture, only puts a lid on behaviour.
What happens when that kettle boils?  Steam must find a way out. It searches for the nearest exit or it creates its own with a pent up force that must do damage to escape.
And like drugs, it can take years for the full measure of such consequences to be known, if ever at all.  Consequences never stop. It is a never ending game of dominoes.

For those that look beneath the alluvial layer of language, and knit together the implications of each word.  The tapestry will unveil a self portrait.  You may even recognise a little of yourself.  If I am to lay my heart on the table though, I choose not to make it too easy for you to carve up.

Bon appetite.

© Copyright 2002 greg connors - All Rights Reserved
mauddib
since 2002-01-12
Posts 119
melbourne australia
1 posted 2002-01-21 04:50 PM

this is the blurb that preface my book of poems titled Inverse.
My thanks and admiration goes to authors of Piptalk.  Their foresight and generosity is a blessing.
Who ever they are, thank you and God bless you for allowing the dust to be scraped off these words and giving them the light of day.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2002-01-21 05:03 PM

This is excellent!! And I'm very impressed that you have a book. As to the authors of PipTalk, the writer of all the guidelines and such is Ron Carnell. He's the boss. This is his home..you may want to check this out:
http://www.netpoets.com

That's the main site...

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
3 posted 2002-01-22 11:50 AM

dear mauddib,

i liked this one... though i really feel that the two metaphors near the end of the next-to-last paragraph are underdeveloped (those being that of drugs and dominoes)... i believe that an extension of one of these to encompass the whole paragraph or the extension of both in a way that ties them together would contribute a great deal to the overall flow of the piece... the last paragraph and the challenge at the end are superb (a wonderful use of vocabulary, i might add) and i like the narrative-like opening, though you might also look into creating more of a framework from the narrative (where you refer back to the discussion(s) with your sister near the end of the work) in order to tie the two ends of your arguement together... honestly, i don't think there's anything really wrong with this, i just wanted to point out some of the possibilities i saw in case you wanted to tinker around with new styles or the what-not...

sincerely,
jerome

Do not be deaf to me, for if you are silent I shall go down to the pit like the rest. (Psalm 28)

mauddib
since 2002-01-12
Posts 119
melbourne australia
4 posted 2002-01-22 05:42 PM

Thanks to devine, i will check the site out and thanks to PK, your words are very constructive and I appreciate it.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Odd

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary