navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Beethoven's Fifth, A First For Me
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Beethoven's Fifth, A First For Me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Accordionmaid
since 2001-10-28
Posts 153
MA/USA

0 posted 2001-11-01 01:04 PM

Crochet is usually a quiet, domestic art that is its own reward.  A blue ribbon won at a county fair for a crocheted piece may seem to the designer more like a Nobel prize, after all those hours of work.

That's one of the beauties of crocheting.  The rewards are there, for anyone who crochets, but often in secret, like pleasant little surprises.

I'll always laugh a little and enjoy remembering the time I got some very special attention from the great composer, Ludwig van Beethoven, about five or six years ago, on what I remember as a fine summer's day.

Though I thought my long, homemade dress -- a rosy colored cotton print with a yoke done in thread crochet and beads -- would look a little out of place among the typical mall shoppers wearing denim and t-shirts, I thought, "Who cares?"  At my age and after my particular set of life experiences, one indulgence I enjoy is not having to take pains to please the general public.  My new creation was so comfy, and I was the only one who would really care, anyway.

Maybe, though basically content, I was in a bit of a mood, that day...whatever, I was looking forward to drifting around the mall, unnoticed, blending with the crown, resting, meditating as I walked...

...right onto the fashion runway, no escape, lights all around, NO crowd -- mostly just me, and -- Beethoven playing his Fifth Symphony right in my face!!!  It was beautiful...dream-like.  And me and my dress floating into reality under the high, lighted roof of The Worcester Common Fashion Outlets.

A little bewildered, my first thought was, "How did Beethoven get here?"  As I recall I'd recently been reading a book about him, in particular that he was often a very fashionable guy.  Then, reality faded-in a little, and I remembered I was going shopping...and here I was, at the mall.

As I turned the corner at the end of the long inner corridor (my fashion runway), there was the grand piano and the concert artist.  (I'm sorry, I don't remember his name, though I did take note of it at the time.)  Of course, he was not Beethoven, though maybe in a past life...

Gradually I realized that it was just a coincidence.

Wake up, Wendy...This man has never even seen your crochet-and-beads yoke on long, floral dress, before...

I was a total stranger, who'd just happened to enter in time for that first loud, glorious ' tun-tun-tun-Dunnnn, dun-tun-tun-Dunnnn..."

But, you know, I got a few real compliments on that dress.  The cashier at one of the mall's shops mentioned to me that she liked it.  And, I shall always think of it as my Beethoven dress.
~~~~~  ~~~~~

© Copyright 2001 Wendy Stanford - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2001-11-01 07:29 PM

I enjoyed your story Wendy. I crochet but have never done anything like this. It makes you smile sometimes to see 'fate' working like this. I also like your website, checked it out when you first became a member. Maybe we can start a crochet club?  
Accordionmaid
since 2001-10-28
Posts 153
MA/USA
2 posted 2001-11-02 06:40 AM

Hmm...don't know that I'd want to start a club for crochet, but, I do enjoy the About.com Crochet forum, and through that I've found several great links and sites! You can try this link to About Crochet.

[This message has been edited by Accordionmaid (edited 11-03-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Beethoven's Fifth, A First For Me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary