navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Storm...the final cut
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Storm...the final cut Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alan
since 2000-09-12
Posts 1499
right next door

0 posted 2001-10-31 06:28 PM

It was a cold, All Hallows Eve, and I decided to go camping.  The day had been partly cloudy with a gentle southern wind.  I wanted desperately out of the house.  I called my neighbors, asked them to watch over the place, told them where I would be if they happened to need me.  With that, I proceeded to pack and leave. I had been having the same dream every night for weeks. Every night we would dance to our song. When the music ended she would always say, “Goodnight, my love." Even in death she haunted me with fiery eyes, and a heavenly voice.  She taunted me from the grave; it was slowly driving me out of my mind.  The love of my life, my lady of love, had died a year ago today.  We never had a chance to marry.

I was going to where we had planned to spend our honeymoon.  A little cabin on the southern side of the Canadian Rockies overlooking the lake in the valley below; she had loved it there.  She had her own private spot where she would spend hours just enjoying nature.  Her little reverie is where she was when the storm hit unexpectedly, a roaring northern blast dropping the temperature by fifty degrees in less then three minutes.

Raging, white powdery snow began blowing so hard that it was nearly impossible to see. When she had not returned I grew worried.  It was too dangerous to traipse out into the blizzard, but I did it anyway.  I did not get very far before I knew I had to turn back to the shelter of the cabin The search lasted for days before we found her lifeless body leaning against a tree facing the valley.  She had a frozen, Brown-Eyed Susan in one hand, a note to me in the other.  It read, "Honey, do not grieve for me. I died doing what I loved. I will be with you, in your heart, always.  Someday we shall be together again. I will always love you." Beside her lay the sprawling contents of her backpack, a broken pencil and a partially drawn picture were sticking out of the snow. I left her note behind in a drawer at the cabin.

Her presence loomed over me throughout the drive to that desolate cabin. It was as if she were sitting in the seat next to me, sketching the passing scenery as she always did on long trips. I stopped to get gas just below the border. When I went in to pay the man, he made a comment about my having a pretty wife, my blood ran cold, and I informed him I was alone. Returning to the car, I found a single Brown-Eyed Susan lying on the seat. I picked it up with shaky hands and stared in disbelief.

The closer I got to the lake, the stronger her presence became.  Finally, I pulled up to the lodge to get the keys. When I told the man what cabin I wanted, he told me it was out of service. That it had not been used since she and I were last in it.  My eyes were desperately pleading. I insisted, however; he give me that cabin. At last, he gave in.  He and his wife followed me up to the cabin, mumbling that they saw no point in my returning here. Ignoring them we continued down the path. He said it had not been cleaned since last year. I assured them it would be fine. On the way to cabin he noticed the flower and asked where I got it. When I told him the story behind it, he turned pale. He informed me that none of their flowers had bloomed this year.

When we entered the cabin, we were met with deathly silence. It was spotless, on the table sat a vase of fresh flowers. I turned to him with accusing eyes, " I thought you said no one had been in here?" He looked dumbfounded, turned a glance at his wife, told me that it hadn't, that it had been kept locked. I nodded with a smile. Her presence was stronger now than before. I reassured them I would be ok, so they left.

After unpacking, I sat down to enjoy a beer.  I got two out of the cooler. "One for you and one for me," I said out loud unconsciously. Exhausted from the drive, I drank mine and went to bed. Again my dreams were haunted.  This time, however, it felt so real. Dawn broke quickly and I awoke to a beautiful morning. Upon entering the living room, I glanced at the table just long enough to notice that the other beer had been drank. I tried convincing myself that I drank them but then I noticed the caps. One sitting on top of the other, bottom to bottom, just the way she always did it. My body felt warm, yet a chill ran through me but I smiled anyway. I walked out into the morning air. The sky was bright, with very few clouds, and a gentle southern breeze was blowing. It was turning into a picturesque sort of day so I decided to go to the lake.  I spent the day watching the birds play in the air, and dip in the lake. It was getting dark by the time I made it back to the cabin. I felt more relaxed than I had in months.

I got out a beer and sat on the porch swing to watch the moon rise. Just one more thing that she and I shared in our lives. In the moonbeams reflecting off the lake, I thought I saw her dancing. Deciding that it was the beer, I decided to turn in.  Just as I entered the cabin, I heard her whisper, "Goodnight, my love."  Startled, I turned to hear nothing more but the wind blowing through the trees. The next day started out just the same, breathtakingly beautiful. I decided to go up the mountain to her private spot.  Again, I heard her calling to me in the wind. This time, though, it was different, almost a warning.  I ignored it and continued on.  Ignoring it still, I trudged on, certain I was just jumpy. Finally, I made it to her tree. It was desolate and bare, as if the nature she so adored was still mourning her death.

The view was astonishing, it was almost as if you could see for miles. I heard her whisper frantically in my mind, but I could not understand the words. Then it came.  The sky turned black, the wind began to howl. Memories of her came flooding back.  Was this how it had been for her?  I started back down the trail just as the snow hit. Over the howling winds and the raging snow, I heard her calling me. "Come to me, darling, come to me."  I yelled out into the storm, "I can not see!" It was then that warm hands grasped my own.  An unseen force was guiding my steps to the cabin below. Once safely inside, I felt lips upon mine, just briefly. So quickly, it could have been a dream. But I knew, I felt it in my heart; it was a kiss of pure love from an angel, my angel.  Then she was gone.  I felt her presence leave the room.

As I was leaving the next morning, I found a note that read, "Honey, do not grieve for me. I died doing what I loved. I will be with you, in your heart, always.  Someday we shall be together again.  I will always love you." I left the note behind, next to the other note, in a drawer at the cabin. Before venturing down the path toward the entrance, I looked up the mountain and whispered, "I will be back come spring." I heard the whisper in the wind that said, "I will be waiting."

© Alan
10-17-01

© Copyright 2001 Alan - All Rights Reserved
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
1 posted 2001-10-31 07:45 PM

the power of love. . .

this struck me in a lot of ways Alan. . . the most obvious being that love never dies. . . and that those we love truly are always with us. . .

but, there are other feelings here too. . . the descriptions that you've included and the use of the brown-eyed Susan, rather than the usual type of flower. . . and the way that the main character almost knew that she would be there. . .

I see that you've been using your time well. . . excellent. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Alan
since 2000-09-12
Posts 1499
right next door
2 posted 2001-10-31 08:08 PM

Thank you Sven...this is my first short story..I am glad you liked it
alan

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
3 posted 2001-11-02 05:00 PM

Alan, I enjoyed the story. If you want I will go through it like I did last time?? Let me know.

Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life.     a brand

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Storm...the final cut

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary