navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Essences of Spirit
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Essences of Spirit Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN

0 posted 2001-09-10 09:12 PM

Essences of Spirit

This tale is for myself, and for Krista. After a long period of grieving and creative blockage I've finally been able to produce this. I feel it's a turning point that I made when the right ingredients finally came together. To all of my long neglected friends at Passions, Thank you for all you've given, I'm trying to come back when school allows now. Let the magic in your souls flow into everything you do  

The unicorn, gentle creature of legend blessed with a beauty of spirit and body to amaze all those who behold it. They are unique beings with their graceful gold-spiraled horn, a mark of their solitary journeys through perils and pain to make a lion shy away. One seldom sees them except as a flash of white, a sparkle of gold or a cascade of silver hair, then they’re gone, vanished as swiftly as thought.

Rarely do we see them, as vain and self-centered as we are. When a human glimpses a unicorn he seldom grasps their beauty, his eyes mired in the wrappings of pain.

I’ve seen the unicorn though, pierced the haze that surrounds them and drank of their purity. I saw eyes of emerald brimming with love and haunted to the edge of tears. I knew this being and loved her dearly, accepted all that she was into me and was complete.

In the night she left, slipped from my arms to leave me in a cold bed. The people who always meant so well told me to forget her, love would find me again, but I knew my heart beat for her. I tried to move on but every moment was spent in longing, my mind was not mine.

Many restless nights broken by dreams of sweet caresses forced me to find the one with who I shared so much. I forsook my life and I spent each day searching. I could feel the beating in my chest grow, heart to heart, pumping together. I knew she was out there, not only could I feel her within me but I would not long be without a glimpse of her. She was quickened by fear, yet she would not leave me.

Each morning I felt lingering warmth, a breath on my skin, her feminine scent. She was gone.

I avoided every settlement of humanity I found; their fear of me was too great. I stopped not for the cold snowclad vistas or burning plains, forests strived to hold me back and I resisted though I almost lost to one.

The spirits of this forest reviled me, I could sense their malevolence built on fear. They beleaguered me until I could barely sense the unicorn. They sent creatures great and small to hinder me. I was harried so badly I could not sleep. Pebbles, sand, shrill cries; they threw all that they could in my path. The packs breathed of my scent and hounded my steps.

The wolves grew bold as the forest grew more tangled, hung with shreds of shadows. Like quicksilver they rolled from the darkness and drew blood; rending, tearing and then slinking away. Exhaustion amplified the burning agony of each footfall, clouding my mind of all sensations but completely blinding pain.

Gold eyes haunted my steps, crowded my vision and slowed me. A wolf leapt from and tore my shoulder open; my arm hung useless, bleeding and crippling me.

As pain stole the light from my eyes I heard a thunder of hooves, yelps of pain. Tresses brushed my face as hot tears shut my eyes and chased thought from me.

I awoke far from the forest, my arm tender, sore, but functional. Heat again centered me, replacing the cold that until know was burrowing deep.

I felt her much more clearly now. I knew fear was driving her, breath burning in her throat as she ran. Something was very wrong. I quickened my pace, seemingly flying as I neared the place I saw in my mind.

Fear changed to pain and loss, emptiness. I did not stop. I rushed onwards through the plains and snow until I saw streaks of crimson.

Bound hoof to hoof was the unicorn, her emerald orbs whitened in fear. Blood streamed over coat and muzzle. Her horn was broken, the splintered stump seeping carmine. Even amid that scarlet flurry her strength attempted to right her, stop the flow.  Anguish was not new to her, only one more trial of life.

Worse to her were the ropes that hobbled her, seeping the energy from her spirit. I watched the web of their bounds weaving and pulsing. I understood.

I fell upon her, tears in my eyes, careful not to harm her, yet she shied from me. The bounds I broke, scorning this thought of mine. I reached to her, soul to soul, craving the ember warmth of her. She balked, for a moment afraid as her mind churned and then questioning tendrils grasped me.

My soul within me stirred and I felt my skin tingle at the touch; leathery pinions stretched and sheltered us. I wondered but a moment until this newness revealed itself to me. I saw myself so clearly reflected in her eyes now that I let myself believe.

I held her gently, my tears rinsing her still, the flame of my existence burning close to her; unicorn spirit pulsing against my dragon heart. I gave of my love and she returned in kind, as her tears washed away my pain, as did mine. We bestowed upon each other our lives and grew whole and complete, even her shattered horn grew.

We were scarred but fear did not hold us back. I saw my own true form shimmering around me; claws wings and scales. I understood how I recognized her now; and she found me. Beings different yet similar; I could not help but love her and be drawn in.

I could feel the fear of her injuries and my thoughts of her. I reassured her: I cherished her for her strength and character, the fullness of her being sang to me. I touched claw to muzzle and drowned in her being and I was lost until finally her soft touch brought me back; staring into gold-filigreed emerald. I brushed her hair from soft cheeks, skin to skin and whispered in her ears, wrapping her in arms and essence forever.

"They that start by burning books will end by burning men." -- Heinrich Heine

[This message has been edited by Dusk Treader (edited 09-10-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Abrahm Simons - All Rights Reserved
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
1 posted 2001-09-10 10:12 PM

And what a phenomenal way to come back, my love.  This is poignant, moving, and the images are haunting.  I could see the struggle so clearly in my mind.  A marvelous piece of work, I'm so glad to see you emerging from your block.  

*Krista Knutson*

"Touched the mirror, broke the surface of the water,
Saw my true self, all illusions shattered..." ~Tracy Chapman

Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
2 posted 2001-09-10 10:16 PM

What a wonderful story, Abe.  I loved it.  Your images were super!  ( i can't spell any big words that mean impressive)  anways, i hope you keep writing, i enjoy it so much.

"Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other course, no other way... No day but today"
~Broadway Musical RENT~

*Cassandra Roseen*

Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
3 posted 2001-09-24 06:44 PM

Welcome back, cant say as that Ive missed you, because I havent been around in a while myself.  You truely are a master of description.  Pain and hard times are the wetstone we sharpen ourselves on, or so the saying goes.  Wonderful job and welcome back.

every day is a new day with which we can change the world

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 posted 2001-10-05 01:53 PM

Abe, this is truly an amazing come back! Your words make the picture come alive. Applause!
Joie de Vivre
since 2001-09-29
Posts 21
USA
5 posted 2001-10-06 03:46 PM

Words captured so perfectly.  No world like yours exists without love; the images are clear, the story is personal, the meaning precise.
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
6 posted 2001-10-07 10:48 PM

Thank you all for giving your time and reading my piece  

Krista - Thank you, dear. Your words mean the world to me, and it's oh so good to be back.  

Cassie - You don't need big words if you speak from the heart. Thank you my friend. I won't lay down my pen.  

Keith - Very kind of you, friend. Maybe not a master, but I love to paint the picture.  

Munda - And thank you also, my Dutch friend! Breathing life into my work is my goal and it definetly makes my day to have you think I've done it.  

Joie de Vivre - I could not have imagined a more pleasing reply. Concise but exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you  

"Beat a drum for me, like a butterfly wing
Tropical storm across the ocean" - R.E.M.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Essences of Spirit

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary