navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » To my beloved Sadie (Civil war letter 2)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic To my beloved Sadie (Civil war letter 2) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
paladin
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-08-05
Posts 930
Pensacola,Fl.

0 posted 2001-09-04 06:08 PM

The night brings the end to another weary day in the saddle. It is restfull here beneath the spreading oak trees. The night is clear and the stars shine like diamonds in the canopy of the forest. The yankie army will be here tommorow. Today we rode out in advance of our army to scout for them. It was late in the evening before we caught sight of them. They have built there camp on the north side of a river and our army will camp on the south side. There is a stone bridge that must be taken and held before we can cross. I think they will try to hold the bridge and force us to find a ford to pass over the river. Tommorow the ground will be soaked with the blood of many men wearing both blue and grey. I have no fear of death tonight. My mind goes back to a crowded ball room where we retired to the rose garden to dance under the moon light. I know tomorrow will be a hard day so I force my self to sleep. In my dreams I hear your gay voice and bask in the warmth of your smiling face. Write me soon. Your letters are like a rope thrown to a drowning man. I carry them with me in a packet over my breast with a picture of you in a silver frame.

Your most ardent friend
Robert

paladin

[This message has been edited by paladin (edited 09-06-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Robert E. Jackson - All Rights Reserved
stace_co2003
since 2001-03-30
Posts 497
In a dream world
1 posted 2001-10-09 05:59 PM

dude! lol, I read this simply because it's a letter written to my dog! lol. anyway, it's really interesting...

I'm not as drunk as some tinkle peed I am!

Don't frown, you never know who is falling in love with your smile. :)

LoveLetters
since 2001-10-09
Posts 35
State of Hope
2 posted 2001-10-10 01:29 AM

I LOVE this! I am looking forward to reading more of these letters.   Seems fitting almost in the times we are in lately.  Beautiful!

Love has many masks. I am but one of them.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
3 posted 2001-10-10 10:41 AM

Paladin~
This really touched me.
I have a collection of letters that were given to me,
that were written during the Civil War.
I also have letters from the Vietnam War era.
I treasure the thoughts in each of them.

I think that they tell the history of our country during times of battle better than the history books could ever do.

This is really very good.
Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll do more of them.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
   noles1@totcon.com              

MoonShadow
since 2001-08-02
Posts 943
Dark side of the Moon.
4 posted 2007-01-31 12:08 PM

Once again the imagery and emotions presented here paint a strong portrait in the mind. Well Done.

MoonShadow

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
5 posted 2007-01-31 02:16 PM

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » To my beloved Sadie (Civil war letter 2)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary