navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Longing to be Popular
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Longing to be Popular Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania

0 posted 1999-08-28 05:24 PM

Christina looked in the mirror and was ashamed by what she saw, An ugly shell of a girl staring back at her in the mirror. It just wasn't fair, all the girls her age were beautiful, popular, and had boyfriends. Christina didn't. She wanted to smash the mirror terribly, but more than that, she wanted to kill the girl looking back at her.

Just then her mom called her from her room, "Christina, darling, dinner's ready."

"Okay, mom, I'll be right down," she answered hesitantly.

She took one last frustrated glance in the mirror before putting on her "happy face" and going downstairs for dinner. Just because she wasn't happy on the inside didn't mean her parents had to know about it.

"Chrissy, how was school today?", her dad asked sweetly.

"Oh, I had a pretty good day, I got a 96 on my Algebra test," she answered. She really did hate to lie to her father but she just could not let him know what she really felt inside.

He answered her, "Great going, that's my girl." Her dad was always extremely supportive of her. She just wished she could tell him the truth.

Christina looked at her plate of food. It really did look good, roast beef, mashed potatoes and corn. Her favorite. She started eating and did not look up until it was completely gone.

Then she quietly made her way upstairs and straight into the bathroom. She took yet another glance into the mirror which was hung over the sink. Why did she have to be so ugly and fat? Life just didn't seem fair anymore. And as she did so many times before, after every meal in fact. She took her index finger and put it in her mouth. But right at that second something stopped her, she didn't want to destroy her body like that anymore. She was about to put an end to this once and for all. After all, she really was a pretty and smart and athletic girl.

She sprinted down the stairs as quickly as she could.

"Babe, what's the matter?," her father asked inquisitively.

"Dad, Mom, There is something I have to tell you, I have been binge eating for the past year now. I am bulemic," she finally confessed.

Her mother and father looked at each other in horror. "But why?" they asked.

"I just wasn't happy with who I was as a person but I want to change all that," she told them.

"Christina, we support you completely, we just wish you told us earlier, you are really hurting yourself by doing that," they told her.

She responded, "I know and that is why I want to get help."

They explained that they would help her in every way that they could and they would make it through this together. She could have not asked for more understanding parents.

The very next day Christina went to counseling and recovered fully. In her senior year she was the captain of the basketball and swimming team. She is going on to college and she was a varsity cheerleader. She even has had a boyfriend for 11 months now.

------------------
People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy.
-Bob Hope

© Copyright 1999 Susan Acacio - All Rights Reserved
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
1 posted 1999-08-28 10:58 PM

This was very touching. And a big Amen for getting help and the recovery! Tis' what is on the inside of a person that counts! I have heard many stories on this sad, but too well known story. It really is heart wrenching to see someone put their self through that. I'm glad this was a success story, and a boyfriend too! smile, smile, smile.
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 1999-08-28 11:13 PM

Sometimes we are hardest on ourselves aren't we? This is a touching story that should be passed out in schools. Good job, Angel!

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
3 posted 1999-08-29 12:40 PM

I agree w/ DeVine...this should definately be passed out in schools. The strength it takes to recognize and recover from an eating disorder is great, which you so admirably displayed with this. Excellent job!

------------------

Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania
4 posted 1999-08-29 12:53 PM

Thank you all for your very kind words. I really don't think it is good enough to pass out in schools, but thank you again. This is not written of personal experience, or at least not totally. I got over mild annorexia
not bulimia but I still no how it feels to think you don't have a friend in the world. But I also have a boyfriend now too. Thanks to my family and friends. Thanks again

------------------
People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy.
-Bob Hope

rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
5 posted 2006-11-17 11:27 AM

Its sad how many girls go through this. The stereotypes end up hurting them more than the actual other kids at school.Nice write
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Longing to be Popular

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary