navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » At the Mall
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic At the Mall Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper

0 posted 2001-06-10 11:57 PM

Knees, Donnie learned quickly, were different on everyone. Some had big knobby centers and some, with skin all around, could hardly be considered knees at all, just a bubble on the way from calf to thigh.

They said he was precocious and Donnie supposed he was, in his own mind. They thought he was because he seemed to understand and could say a few one-syllable words. But what they didn't know was that he chose NOT to say more than that. Donnie was the master of his own world and at two years old, decided he didn't want to talk.

Today was his favorite kind of day. They were going to the mall! And this is where he studied people. They never paid much attention to him as his mom pushed him in the super deluxe safety managed space efficient stroller. Unless he had some piece of food in his hand, then the salesclerks hovered around and kept bending down to make sure he didn't touch anything. If they only knew how many sucker he'd stuck to the inside of some of the dresses in the ladies department at Macy's they'd fall over!

What Donnie hated about the mall was that sometimes, someone would walk by with a shopping bag and 'whack'! it would smack him in the face! The first time it happened, he cried from surprise. His overprotective mother realized what happened and she whipped the stroller around and raced down the mall after the 'hit and run' bagger and confronted some old lady right there in public! He was mortified! His mom knew some good words and he committed them to memory for when he felt like talking.

Today the mall was pretty quiet. It wasn't a major holiday or a weekend so he anticipated a slow day of knee watching.

"Betty!" his mother cried out. Then with the stroller as a blocker, his mother maneuvered across the normal left right mall traffic to stand in front of the Gap (a place his mother will never be able to shop in because her hips got too wide from carrying him).

Unfortunately, Betty also had a stroller. So Donnie had to sit there and stare at another toddler who sucked a very white wrinkled thumb. He couldn't even watch knees as the two strollers were pushed tightly against a window. All he saw were those stiff people that stood in windows. Sometimes they laid down or sat in weird positions. But they kept very still. Sometimes he wished he could do that. Especially when his mom told him to 'hold still while I tie your shoes'….if only he could be one of those people, he wouldn't get the bottom smacking he usually got when he twisted around. So he figured those people in the windows must have been smacked a lot and eventually learned a lesson. Sigh. It was hard to be good!

After awhile, Betty took her silent son and went off and Donnie and his mom turned back into the mall.

A few minutes of mindless knee watching passed and then Donnie realized he had to make a doodle. (A stupid name his mother dreamed up!) He hated doing it in the mall! His mother would drag him to the ladies room at Sears and hoist his legs in the air while she changed him. Every grandmother in two counties got to see his privates and it was very embarrassing! He cried every time she did it!

But he couldn't control it. He had to do it! He had peaches for lunch and his mother never seemed to realize that those darn strained things went right through him!

Donnie grunted just a little. And then without any help at all, his Huggies extra absorbent toddlers were filled! And really smelly.

Suddenly his mother's face was right in front of him - he jumped like he'd done something wrong. She sniffed and then was gone. He felt the sudden push of the stroller as she moved faster down the mall. Right towards Sears. He started to sniffle. Looking left and right, hoping the place was deserted, he watched for those grandmother ladies.

When they got to the ladies bathroom, his mother rustled around in the back of the stroller for a new Huggies. Then she had to pull down the changing table (always looked to Donnie like it was going to suddenly snap back into the wall and he'd be gone forever!), and lay out all the stuff she needed to change him and clean him up.

He began to cry louder as his mother unfastened his seatbelt and pulled him from the stroller. He heard a flushing sound and knew that in a moment his butt would be stuck up there and then the grandmother make remarks about it. He hated having a cute butt!

As his mother lay him on the table she mumbled "this wouldn’t be necessary if you'd just learn to use the potty."

Donnie looked up at his mother and thought, "so that's what she wants me to do!" He'd been forced to sit naked on this tiny chair with a bowl in the seat and until now, he never realized what it was for!

He stopped crying and whispered "potty".

"Donnie!" his mother cried. She picked him up and hugged him tightly.

"Potty!" he said again.

She looked at his face and then walked over to one of the stalls. After pulling and tugging and removing, Donnie found himself being held over a very large bowl of water.

THIS was more like it he thought.

If he could master this, there would be no more naked butts in Sears!

[This message has been edited by Sharon (edited 06-12-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Sharon - All Rights Reserved
Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
1 posted 2001-06-12 01:42 AM

Haha...... this was really cute.  The ending was a neat twist, I like the idea of the kid not having known what the hell he was doing naked on some seat.  That seems so logical that it's hilarious, and very very clever.  
A truly enjoyable read, thank you for sharing.
~Allan

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.  
~Unknown

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2001-06-12 08:15 PM

That was a truly delightful point of view!

My only complaint was a totally personal one - when Betty pulled down the changing table and had ME laying on it, I got a bit worried…

Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper
3 posted 2001-06-12 08:37 PM

LOL..sorry Ron!!! Originally I named him Ronnie, but thought better of it. Guess I missed that one - but then again, it COULD be a Freudian slip.  
Dr. Jo-Bizz
since 2001-06-06
Posts 97

4 posted 2001-06-13 12:55 PM

hahahaaaaaa. that's really clever.  the knees part especially.  its hard to remember what our point of view was as a child sometimes.  you did a GREAT job.  

dr. jo-bizz

But His word was in my heart
like a burning fire
Shut up in my bones;
I was weary of holding back,
And I could not.

Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper
5 posted 2001-06-13 08:23 PM

Thank you Dr.!
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
6 posted 2001-06-14 04:37 PM

Loved your point of view, Sharon! LOL, I never would have thought of that, "Why is she making me sit naked on this chair?" A very fun piece of writing! To be a knee-watcher again... LOL

"They that start by burning books will end by burning men." -- Heinrich Heine

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » At the Mall

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary