navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Under the Rose Bush
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Under the Rose Bush Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper

0 posted 2001-06-05 08:50 PM

She opened her eyes slowly and found she was lying under a rose bush. The first thought she had was not 'why am I here' but 'I never knew what roses looked like from underneath'. She didn't move for several minutes as her senses slowly returned. Then gently, so as not to disturb the roses, she lifted her head.

She saw that she was dressed completely in some white fluffy material. Her feet weren't visible and when she wiggled them, the bottom of the white fabric jiggled. And she could feel the cold ground beneath her.

"Good," she thought, " at least I'm not paralyzed.

She raised her right hand to her head and discovered there was more white material there. She tugged at it and it came away in her hand like a cloud of white fog. She tossed it aside, deciding that she would figure out what it was later.

A small buzzing sound caught her attention and she moved her head to the left. A bee hovered nearby as though he was watching her.

"Beat it!" she whispered. "Can't you see I want to be alone?" The bee flew off and she smiled, thinking that at least she had some power in this life.

Slowly, she rolled to the left and using her left hand to push herself up, she reached a semi-sitting position. The roses smelled so much sweeter here and she sniffed in appreciation. She glanced down at the white fabric that covered her and her smile disappeared. She had no idea why she wore this dress - for it was a dress. Long, white fancy. She could see her feet now, one clad in a shiny white shoe, the other with nothing but red toenail polish.

"What on earth?" she asked the rose bush. "What is going on?"

Since the rose bush remained silent, she rolled again and got up on her hands and knees. Staring at the ground, she was immediately seized with a sick feeling in her stomach. She retched.

When the feeling passed, she stood up. The rose bush had many family members, in fact there were dozens of bushes lined up around her as she stood. She glanced down and found that her left hand had grazed one of the sharper thorns on the bush and a small trickle of bright red blood trailed down to the tip of her little finger. One small drop fell onto the skirt of the white dress.

In the distance, there was the sound of music. A band, mostly violins, she surmised, played a slow, easy waltz. She kicked of the one shoe she wore and walked slowly out of the circle of rose bushes.

The sun was setting in the west and it cast a rosy glow on her gown. She turned and saw a tall white building to her right. It too looked rosy. The door stood open so she decided to find out what was going on.

The sidewalk leading to the door was cold beneath her bare feet. She realized as she tripped that she would have to lift up the white gown or she would fall. She gathered folds and folds of the soft white material in her hands and walked more quickly to the door.

She walked up two steps and stood between the doors that stood open. The inside of the building was darker than outside, lit only by the setting sun shining through the stained glass windows. She felt safe.

"Safe?" she wondered why that would matter to her.

Then, with the swiftness of a kick to the stomach, she realized. She was wearing a wedding dress.

© Copyright 2001 Sharon - All Rights Reserved
azblond
since 1999-07-01
Posts 637
The Steamy Desert
1 posted 2001-06-06 04:54 PM

WOW!!

Let my words fall first upon deaf ears before a closed mind...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2001-06-08 09:21 PM

Just what I needed to read right now. ROFL...
BUT...ALLOW ME...little NON-MODERATE humble me to be the VERY FIRST TO WELCOME YOU to Passions...excuse our rudeness..the welcomes here are usually much warmer than this!!!  

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
3 posted 2001-06-08 11:17 PM

Yes welcome! And what an interesting story to start off with!  It stirs alot of questions in me, is there more?
Debbie

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2001-06-09 06:02 AM

Curious.  This is a rather interesting piece of writing.  I've always loved those ones that kinda hit you at the end.

Hope ya like it here as much as I do.  Cheers.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper
5 posted 2001-06-11 12:18 PM

Thank you for your kind words. I hadn't intended to write more...this was just an exercise to see if I could explain a situation from the viewpoint of someone who didn't know where they were or how they got there...
Death of Valor
since 2000-06-09
Posts 20
New Orleans
6 posted 2001-06-16 01:24 AM

*smile*  That was amazing, but the end kind of left me hanging...  There are lots of unsolved questions.  Why is she in a wedding dress and how did she get under the rosebush?  I could tell it was a wedding dress, but I thought there would be something more to it when she realized her own situation -- some glaring slap in the face for the readers that tied the rosebushes to her marriage in a blindingly obvious insight... but I just left with more questions...

Very beautiful, though -- I didn't mean to sound as if it wasn't good.  I want more!

kitkat
since 2000-01-11
Posts 878
Nova Scotia
7 posted 2001-06-26 10:06 AM

You have my full attention here. I was surprised by the ending. If there is not more It would be  even a greater challenge for you to create more. So what do you think? Can there be more to solve all our unanswered questions? We will be waiting :-)

--------------
You got to get up every morning with a smile on your face
and show the world all the love in your heart
Then people are gonna treat

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
8 posted 2001-07-01 01:37 PM

This is very different. . . almost experimental in a way. . . and yes, I've got a lot of questions as well. . . I'm sure that there's more here from you, so, I'll take a look. . .

Welcome btw, although it's a late one. . .  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

shadow974
since 2001-06-21
Posts 636
Michigan
9 posted 2001-07-08 02:52 PM

I love the suspences If you choose to complete it I can say it will be even better.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Under the Rose Bush

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary