navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Different Faces
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Different Faces Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
obscurity of cloud
since 2001-05-11
Posts 294
....:::::******:::::....

0 posted 2001-05-12 03:06 PM

It was quite the Saturday when I ran into my mother at the lesbian bar.  I was only there with friends, celebrating another 21st birthday, downing another round of Jello shooters.  "I don't go for girls; here with friends," is how I usually phrase it when I'm asked to dance by another crew cut, or a waist length braid.  Sometimes, just to put one of my lifelong feminazi friends on edge, I'll bring my boyfriend.  Unfortunately, or maybe to my good fortune, he was not there with me when I spotted the woman who brought me out of my childhood.

A cigarette was dangling between her lips to match that in mine, and I noticed that she smoked Turks, while I went for the cheaper brands.  When a nose ringed punk asked her for a light, and she produced one, I thought I was going to faint.  I clasped my friend's hand and whispered sharply, "Ten o'clock."

"Yours or mine?" She responded carelessly, for we always have this conversation; I give her directions on her own watch.    

"Yours," I hissed, impatient.  She turned, but didn't see what I meant across the curtain of smoke, across the anthologies of laughter and music.  

Then, my mother turned and embraced a cloud of rainbow tie-dye that had recently entered the bar.  It was at that moment that I remembered how easy it is to see the past in life in the streets, and that the only thing my mother embraced at present was under an unostentatious cross in the cemetary in Oregon Hill.

"so when at times the mob is swayed to carry praise or blame too far, we may choose something like a star" --Frost

[This message has been edited by obscurity of cloud (edited 05-13-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 obscurity of cloud - All Rights Reserved
obscurity of cloud
since 2001-05-11
Posts 294
....:::::******:::::....
1 posted 2001-05-12 03:08 PM

Welcome to my first post; I'm a little shaky, i know.  I've been reading all your works in prose and poetry for a couple months now, and just worked up the nerve to register and write comments.  I'm nothing prolific, but i appreciate any ideas.  Thanks so much!

"so when at times the mob is swayed to carry praise or blame too far, we may choose something like a star" --Frost

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2001-05-12 05:32 PM

I would like to read more please. I find your descriptions crisp and unusual. Like I said..more please!!!    
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2001-05-12 05:35 PM

You've quite an edge on this! Thanks for summoning up that nerve...we all walk that line...but there's nothing to fear...

and Welcome to Passions!

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Different Faces

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary