navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CT: How the Internet Has Affected my Poetry
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic CT: How the Internet Has Affected my Poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 1999-08-26 10:44 AM

CT: How the Internet Has Affected my Poetry

I’ve always loved music. I cannot sing, except for in the shower, and to my children, and their children, for they love my voice no matter what. From music, I picked up a semblance of rhythm.

I’ve always loved words. I read, but am not well read in the terms of a scholar. Different topics affect, attract me at different times. Someday I intend to be well read. From words, I’ve learned that one can touch and affect others.

I love to share. I’ve always felt I’ve been put on this earth to do something. What pleasures me most naturally is to touch someone’s heartstrings, whether it be with a word, a look, a touch.

Penmanship lessons in the fourth grade helped me understand that there can be art in words. I practiced my penmanship, and a [wise] teacher told me to practice by using my skill with words, for she thought I had a gift. Whether she was wrong, or right, remains to be seen.

I relate to the KISS* example. I don’t want to write over, or beneath people. So, if I write to please me, by using the KISS method, if someone looks, reads, and likes, then I’ve done my job. I am not out to impress millions. If, someday, that should happen, then I will have stumbled upon the BIALP** syndrome.

The Internet came along, to much ballyhoo, hype, contagious antipathy and integrity alike. It’s a thing, like all others: it can be used either for goodness or evil, such as can phones, cars, televisions, videos, cameras, etc. I wear a white hat. I use the Internet for good purpose. I’ve seen a little of the evil, much by happenstance, but with a click of my little friend “Mouse”, the evil went and disappeared from my screen.

There is a place, a home, on the Internet that I’ve not found before. This place has rules, regulations, discipline, parents, children, cousins, aunts, uncles, some “fly-by-night” relatives and an unerring sense of roots. Stories are told, dreams are shared, plans are made, life subsists. Above all, everyone is made to feel welcome to come, sit, share, or just listen to what is there.

This home is Passions in Prose. PiP has given me a place where I do not need to fear reprisal, but can expect well-meant criticism, just as in a real home with walls. PiP is a place where the father of the home spread open his arms, and invited everyone, and you, come enter, become family, and share us with yours. Best of all, PiP makes you want to think, and learn, and better yourself, again just as in a real home. I've not yet found another place quite like it.

So, I’ve been allowed to take my “music of words, love of sharing, and my methods” to this home for all to read. Thank you Ron, for your wonderful services and good intentions. Hopefully, I will be everyone’s Sunshine Sister for a long time to come.

*“Keep It Simple, Stupid”
**“Boy I’m A Lucky Person”

------------------
Sunshine
Words will always express our feelings true. ~~~ KRJ
Look, then, into thine heart, and write ~~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

© Copyright 1999 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 1999-08-26 11:41 AM

Gosh! This brought a tear to my eye! A lovely way to describe how this has affected you.

It seems we cannot write about the affect of the Internet on our poetry without referencing Passions! I am glad to have you here, I am of an age that I will call you Sis, not Aunt, though...Perhaps we should start a new club:Sisters in Rhyme (SiR)?

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

2 posted 1999-08-26 05:26 PM

Indeed, it seems that we all have something to be thankful for in PiP. Good topic for a Thanksgiving Edition of the newsletter, eh?

------------------
Shall I indulge in flights of fancy hampered by clipped wings?
DreamEvil©

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 1999-08-26 05:38 PM

Yes, it can be said by me
that when I want to find a place
to rest my written poetry
at PiP there's ample space.

You can find most anything
written rhyme or free verse
sometimes it's sad, sometimes it rings
it's good, better, great, but never worse.

I've seen other places,
they leave me quite discontented;
but here at PiP, I'm quite welcome
and just think, space is never rented!

No "buy me" messages barraging me,
and privacy can be a treat
and daily the group is growing, see?;
OK, this place just cannot be beat!

Thanks for your comments, PdV and DE!

------------------
Sunshine
Words will always express our feelings true. ~~~ KRJ
Look, then, into thine heart, and write ~~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 1999-08-26 09:05 PM

Gorgeous. You know what depresses me? - the fact that their are hundreds of awesome books out ther I'll never get to read, 'cause I don't have enough years to fit them all in! Glad to be part of your family, Sunshine.
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
5 posted 1999-08-27 10:30 AM

Sunshine...very nicely written. Thanks for sharing this with us all.

------------------
"Nobody has measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold" ~Zelda Fitzgerald

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 1999-08-28 01:58 AM

Wow, you expressed this admirably. I could sense your appreciation for our "home." I agree with you too. I have only been here a relatively short time, but I already feel the same way, my home away (or inside) my home!

------------------
I believe in the sand beneath my toes.
The beach gives a feeling, an earthly feeling.
I believe in the faith that grows.
-Stephan Jenkins-

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
7 posted 1999-08-29 12:18 PM

Very well put! I know that your words have reached and touched many!

------------------
"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with." *Mark Twain*

sasanka7
since 2010-11-17
Posts 30

8 posted 2010-11-24 11:09 AM

I absolutely agree with your views Sunshine. I have not seen so beautiful site so far. I love its simplicity and cleanness. I also love the rules and regulations adopted by the authority of piptalk.com as it necessary in comparison to other site. Thank you very much for your sharing views so nice way.
sasanka7

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2010-11-24 08:03 PM

Sasanka,

I was so very surprised to see this "pop to the top" from a piece written a decade ago. Bless your heart. You have found a haven for your own words, yet you choose first to enjoy the archives.

May you enjoy a peace filled season of joy.

Karilea/Sunshine

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
10 posted 2010-11-26 09:16 PM

Enjoyed...the words we write are based on a lifetime of experiences and when shared becomes one mans or one womans opinion...hopefully those that read will enjoy or in the very least see the value in our writing...James

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2010-11-26 09:35 PM

James, bless you, my friend. To see this come back twice [this year] is heart-warming, to say the least.

I think all of us need to visit the archives more often. What say you, Sir?

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
12 posted 2010-12-06 11:51 PM

I just decided to see what was here as it seems new post are rather rare and here I find your post written so long ago.

This was lovely when you wrote it and still beautiful today.Yes this is the friendliest placeI have seen and I have been on poetry sites since 1999 reading a long time before I ever posted. I  stopped looking around years ago because this is the best. latearrival/.jo

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CT: How the Internet Has Affected my Poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary