navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » half blank page
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic half blank page Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
aurora rain
since 2000-11-15
Posts 90

0 posted 2001-04-23 11:06 PM

“It’s a long story.”

The pages are half-filled, black with ink and sentiment, white with open space, pale with possibility. I could write more than I have.

He does not ask what I am writing, doesn’t speak at all, his brow furrowed (maybe he is thinking of what to say, but I’m thinking I’m not important enough to hear him say it) and beautiful eyes glittering, a gaze spinning in circles. I put the pen down.

“I thought about it a long time before I wrote it. I mean I really wanted to make it beautiful. Make it good, you know?”

“Hmm.”

“Hmmm? That is all you’re going to say?”

“What else is there to say?”

“Maybe you could say....oh, I don’t know, that it is good?”

“I haven’t read it yet.”

“Well...maybe you should.”

“I will.”

There is some talk of earthquakes, at least in my head. I want to be inspirational...I want to be clever. You know, make an observation wise enough to be acknowledged, to be understood. I wanted to say how life and death may be acts of God or forces of nature, but that the in-between is not. There are things beyond our control, things beyond our comprehension of “why?” With an earthquake, you do not ask why. But about your life, there are elements of control. Lives just do not fall apart the way earthquakes cause things to fall apart. You and I just do not fall apart that way, either. There are no unexplainable fault lines here, and if there are fault lines at all, they can be mended.

“If I tell you it is good, will it mean anything? You won’t just think I said it because you told me to?”

“Yes, I will. Everything you say means the world to me.”

I wonder if that’s such a good thing. If it’s meant to cause things to fall apart in the hopes we can put everything back together. If, although this is not a natural disaster, there are some supernatural forces behind its reasoning.

I keep thinking about how I want to fall into this all over again. Lose my sense of time and space like I did in the moving vehicle, in your eyes while you didn’t know. It’s undeniably wonderful...and unbelievably difficult. To miss that, you know? But it isn’t impossible.

I don’t believe in impossible anymore.

© Copyright 2001 aurora rain - All Rights Reserved
J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
1 posted 2001-05-12 01:49 AM

Aurora,
  I suppose this is part 2 huh? Okay, I like this one too. Good work.
                     J.L.H.

Jason
God is a warm whisper from the cool void.
Jack Kerouac

obscurity of cloud
since 2001-05-11
Posts 294
....:::::******:::::....
2 posted 2001-05-12 02:00 PM

Wow, i really liked the way you phrased what is and is not beyond our control.  Great work, keep posting.

"so when at times the mob is swayed to carry praise or blame too far, we may choose something like a star" --Frost

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » half blank page

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary