navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CT - How the Internet Affected My Poetry
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic CT - How the Internet Affected My Poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 1999-08-25 11:49 PM

When I was ten, I wrote my autobiography for a school assignment. I got an A and a lot of praise from my teacher! Wow! I thought I’d found my calling.

In high school, I wrote my first poem for the school paper. It was a Valentine’s Day poem about unrequited love. It was a hit with the girls but the boys found it ‘sappy’. They were teenage boys in a pre-woman’s lib era so they weren’t supposed to like that kind of poetry.

Ten years ago, I began to write poetry for friends and family. I wrote a lot of ‘jingle-type’ poems for the people I work with. My first big moment of recognition came when I wrote a poem called "Bob’s Big Boy". It was written for an international motivational speaker, from an article he wrote. He asked if he could use it in his speeches and sometimes, someone I’m talking to will ask me if I am that poem’s author. This was my first taste of acceptance.

Two years ago, I got a computer and discovered the Internet. With access to a free website, I posted about 15 poems onto my site. It was mainly for friends and family, but gradually I did submit my poetry to some ‘contest’ sites. One day last August, I got an e-mail from a man who said he had read my poem and liked it. We began to correspond. He also wrote poetry and as we found a common bond, we began to challenge each other to write more. Today, he is still my friend and has become a constant source of ideas for poetry.

Spurred on by his interest, I posted a poem in the forum at Miningco.com. I loved the feedback I got. I put my poetry on a website at Geocities and submitted it for awards and links. I checked it every day to see if anyone was finding me! About this time, on the Miningco.com forum, a poet responded to one of my poems and asked if I would like to submit a poem on his site. He said he had just started it and would like to get some other poets work there as his was the only poetry posted so far.

I was intimidated by the webmaster’s poetry! He was (and is) an incredible writer. I liked not only his poetry, but the way he wrote about his poetry and his vision for the future of the site.

And thus, I found Ron Carnell and Passions in Poetry. Passions has affected my poetry more than just being on the internet. Here, I have found a home. My poetry is read by people all over the world. People I would never have been able to reach otherwise. Now, I get fan mail from people who have been touched by my words. It fills me with such pride to know that my poetry reached someone. I have finally found acceptance and affirmation.

When I joined the forums, I opened myself up further to friendships that are based on mutual creative interests. For the first time in my life, I do not have to justify my muse to someone!

How has the Internet affected my poetry? In a positive way of course! Now, I surf for poetry. I read it. I write it. I wallow in the pure pleasure of poetic plentitude!

© Copyright 1999 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 1999-08-26 12:32 PM

What an insight of you! I've only been here awhile and this place has certainly affected my life in a very positive way. I know precisely what you mean about knowing people who can relate to a love of poetry! Great reading, Poet deVine. Love the last sentence.
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

2 posted 1999-08-26 02:25 AM

Though the circumstances differ, I echo all your reasons for your poetry and the influence of the internet on your poetry. 'Tis with great pleasure I name you among my closest friends.

------------------
Shall I indulge in flights of fancy hampered by clipped wings?
DreamEvil©

Lil-bit
since 1999-08-03
Posts 29
Tallahassee, Florida
3 posted 1999-08-26 12:04 PM

I find it fascinating the "journey" you have taken with your poetry. It is a blessing to see that you have "kept" writing all these years.

I however, went through 20 years of NOT writing at all. Due to some circumstances I lost the desire to write.

I have recently found my way back again to that place of serenity and creativity. I started writing once again only to find the talent I once possessed has become "rusty" from lack of use. I am saddened but yet encouraged for I know I am "home" once again.

I am with my words, my thoughts and my deepest feelings. All of these are as a warm blanket on a cold day. I feel secure again.

Your writing is a treasure. Others look for the X where it may be found in "Passions In Poetry" and dug up as a chest of gold to enjoy.

Keep writing - I am deeply blessed by it. Because of the internet I have been blessed to read some wonderful poetry - yours!

Lil-bit

[This message has been edited by Lil-bit (edited 08-26-99).]

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
4 posted 1999-08-28 04:56 PM

Very interesting way that this all came about. I'm glad you have found it, you have touched many and are an inspiration to all poets!
Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
5 posted 1999-08-29 12:28 PM

Well said! A place where one does not have to justify their muse, indeed this is a wonderful place..as you so ably pointed out!

------------------
"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with." *Mark Twain*

sasanka7
since 2010-11-17
Posts 30

6 posted 2010-11-24 11:35 AM

Nicely stated, it is a beautiful site indeed. I  appreciate your perseverance and like to read more.
sasanka7

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CT - How the Internet Affected My Poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary