navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Sound of Music
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sound of Music Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone

0 posted 2003-02-11 12:56 PM

Ummmm, this is probably a dumb question, but I'm a big fan of the musical "Sound of Music" and also a big fan of classical music.

I was wondering if anyone knows the real name to the waltz that Captain Vonn Trapp and Maria danced too.  You know, the one where they were eye to eye.  The one that was supposed to be a folk song as introduced in the movie.

I've checked around but all they say is Grand Waltz

Yeah, but by who(who composed it) and what is the real name?  Like I'd rather know Chopin's "Fantasie Impromptu" as "Op. 66 in C# Minor"

HELP!!!!! I'm goin nuts

là où est mon amour?
donde está mi amour?
wo ist meine Liebe?
Nelly Furtado é a menina a mais bonita no mundo largo do todo.

© Copyright 2003 acire - All Rights Reserved
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
1 posted 2003-02-11 01:09 PM

wish I could help you, man... I hate "Sound of Music," but recently there was this neat playing of it in a theatre nearby where people would watch it and sing the words along with it as they flashed across the bottom.  Of course, I thought it was completely stupid... and of course, my whole family went without me anyways.  

But yeah... I'll ask a few people and see if I get an answer for you.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2003-02-11 10:02 PM

It's been twenty years (or more) since I saw The Sound of Music, but I'm pretty sure you're referring to one of Chopin's waltzes. Op 18, No. 2, I think? You might find it under Grande Valse Brillante.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2003-02-13 08:36 PM

I checked with the Music Department librarian at work today. The waltz that is referred to as the Grand Waltz takes place in the parlor during a party nearer the beginning of the movie. Its official name is the Grand Waltz composed by Richard Rodgers (of Rodgers and Hammerstein) sometime in the 1950's (I've forgotten the actual date already!) There are more waltz's later in the movie so it is perhaps one of those that is the one by Chopin (I didn't have time to research it further).
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Sound of Music

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary