navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Something Odd
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Something Odd Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2002-05-13 10:39 AM

Today I received two emails in my Yahoo mail that are identical to one I received last week (from someone else). This is the email:

Hello,This is a special nice game
This game is my first work.
You're the first player.
I wish you would enjoy it.

These are the email addresses:

Is this odd? Do you think it's a 'virus' thing? And my computer virus software wiped out any offending attachment?

I'm really confused..

© Copyright 2002 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2002-05-13 02:19 PM

I got several of the same message, PdV - It is indeed a virus attachment - My McAfee wouldn't allow me to open it and identified the virus (which of course I don't have committed to memory)... It's likely the Kleg that's going around.  I deleted it every time... Do the same...
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2002-05-13 03:58 PM

I'm getting to the point where I don't open any e-mail attachments if I do NOT KNOW THE SENDER...even then, I'm very careful if there is a paperclip attachment...

It's really smart to let your friends know your e-mail address by giving at least some identifiable name...

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2002-05-13 04:17 PM

There is no attachment to any of these...that's why I found it odd..
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2002-05-13 09:04 PM

One of the messages that came to my box was from one of our most loved members... Because it was suspicious, I still put it through the 'virus' test... It failed...

Get virus protection, folks - It's the only surefire way..

NapalmsConstantlyConfused
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 529

5 posted 2002-05-13 10:21 PM

but at the same time, be careful of hoaxes - if you get a virus warning in your email from "a friend" and not from symantec or macafee, go to Symantec or MacAfee to check it out - both sites have lists of known hoaxes.
i just got one of these today - an email that said "go look for such-and-such file and delete it." i looked, and sure enough the file was there - because it was the Microsoft Java Debugger Manager.

don't randomly delete anything off your computer just because your friend says to, folks, unless you have the Mad Elite Puter Skills to replace anything you lose.

-Dave

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2002-05-13 10:34 PM

This is an insidious little virus that not only collects email addresses to send itself to, but also collects them to use as the FROM address. It's called spoofing, and the only way to find the real sending address is to trace the full email header. It seems like each new generation of virus is more tricky then the one before it.
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

7 posted 2002-05-16 07:19 PM

I have a virus. I can't get rid of it yet, owing to the fact that as I student I can't afford a virus update yet - and I have problems getting free McAfee stuff..my only solution is to recover my entire hd, which I can't also do just yet...

so, if it looks like I'm sending files or anything - don't open them guys...

K

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
8 posted 2002-05-16 09:22 PM

uhm - K? don't you just use hotmail? a virus on your computer could only be transferred to hotmail if they had one on their server, or if it was inside a file you attatched....

uhm, that's unless the viruses have gotten that smart...

NapalmsConstantlyConfused
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 529

9 posted 2002-05-16 09:26 PM

Kamla - there's a free antivirus program at Panda that works under any version of windows, or if you're using win 9x/me, you can use the kaspersky free av program, which you can download at Cnet.

freebies are wonderful.
-Dave

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2002-06-05 01:40 AM

Well!  I got a strange email from Ron, and as our webmaster and friendly host has explained I got "spoofed" by the virus.  I knew from the subject line it was not from him and deleted it before I opened the attachment (which was already flagged as "unsafe" by my anti-virus software.

Anyway, Kamla here is the link to a really great anti-virus that is absolutely free and has been for the time I have had four machines, and updates automatically.  Download the "free one" at the top.  It will not let you open anything that has a virus and if a little stinker does get in there it gets it and zaps it.
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.htm

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Something Odd

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary