navwin » Discussion » Q & A » my replies don't show up...
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic my replies don't show up... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jannel
since 2000-01-18
Posts 492
Muncie, IN, USA

0 posted 2000-10-02 06:03 PM

i came back to my computer to find that none of my replies in DP2 had shown up... so i reposted one, and suddenly, there was the first AND second one! my originating posts showed up, and my new replies, i think...help?

© Copyright 2000 Jannel - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2000-10-02 06:55 PM

I'm moving this from the closed "Bug Swatter" forum into Q&A -->
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2000-10-02 07:09 PM

The Bug Swatter forum was closed down a few days ago because this version of the software has been pretty stable for a while. The fact that you were able to post in it is indicative of your problem, though.

When you went to the main forum page, you didn't get it from our web server. Instead, you got an older copy it from a cache, which is why you saw the listing for Bug Swatter. Caching is very common on the Internet, because it makes your connection seem a lot faster. The problem, of course, is that you often see "old" web pages. For many web sites, that's no big deal. For an interactive web site like the forums, however, it can cause a LOT of confusion. When you post a reply the web page changes. But you don't see the changes. You see the old page, still coming out of your cache.

The caching is "probably" being done by your browser (it could also be coming from your ISP, but we'll hope not). So, to tell you how to turn off the caching, we need to know what browser you're using. With luck, someone here in the forums will have the same browser and we'll be able to walk you through the necessary steps. If you can give the version number, that will help, too (you usually see it when you start the browser, and can also find it in the menus by going to Help, then About).

Jannel
since 2000-01-18
Posts 492
Muncie, IN, USA
3 posted 2000-10-03 02:36 PM

the thing is... i'm on a network computer at ball state. and i'm not using the same computer every time. i'm not even in the same building, or using the same type of browser. and i've never had caching problems before, and even if i hit "refresh," which normally fixes caching, i don't get it.  
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2000-10-03 03:52 PM

Bummer.  

There's not a lot you can really do, then, except complain to those who maintain the computers. Hitting "Refresh" (or in the case of Netscape, "Reload") simply pulls the page from the cache again, which as you discovered doesn't help a bit. In Netscape, if you hold down the Shift key when you click Reload, that will force the browser to get a fresh copy of the page if at all possible (if the University is using cache on the proxy server, it still won't help). In IE there is a similar function but I don't recall if you hold down Shift or Ctrl when you click on Reload (I think the latter, but just try both and see which one works).

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » my replies don't show up...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary