navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Voices on the Web
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Voices on the Web Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven

0 posted 2000-08-18 07:16 PM

The thought occurred to me (indeed I do have one now and again though admittedly not often) to ask the question: Will the Voices on the Web book, be available for reading either here or another elsewhere on the web???????

Curiously ,
Jamie

© Copyright 2000 Jamie Patterson - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-08-18 11:47 PM

I would guess not....
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2000-08-19 12:13 PM

All of the poetry that'll be published in the book is already here in the VOTW forum... It won't likely be posted anywhere else... It'll be great to see our work in actual "print" - Don't ya think???...  
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
3 posted 2000-08-19 10:29 AM

Any particular reason why it could not be put here?..yes they are all here but not in the way and format they will be presented in the book. I just thought it would be cool if the many visitors to Passions could see the book. It could increase sales and generate interest in the 2nd book as well.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2000-08-19 11:39 AM

Actually, I hadn't thought that far ahead yet.  

There's very little doubt that "something" will be made available, but whether it will be a representative sample or the full text is still up in the air. The question is, which would better enable us to sell copies on the Web? If we give away the farm, will people still buy the barn? I don't know the answers, but I'll definitely be thinking about it.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2000-08-19 01:06 PM

How about creating a web page - Imagine this...the cover of the book..click open...the next page would have a list of poems (not all of them). Beside each title are two buttons. Click on one to read it and click on the other to hear the poem read by the author! Is that feasible? Or am I dreaming again? *sigh*
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2000-08-19 01:44 PM

You're dreaming again!  

But that doesn't necessarily mean it's not feasible. A .wav file, depending on quality, consumes about 1K for every 3 seconds of sound, so we're talking about a pretty dramatic increase in both disk space and bandwidth. I investigated this pretty close to a year ago and ultimately decided the cost/gain ratio just wasn't there for us. But, technology is always moving forward, and a cumbersome wav file can now be easily converted into a much smaller mp3 file - which just might work. It's one of the things I have on my "list" to investigate further.

Uh, right after I get around to hooking up my computer speakers.  

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2000-08-20 11:22 AM

...um... about that sound card..
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Voices on the Web

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary