navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Prose????
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Prose???? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas

0 posted 2000-07-25 12:04 PM

ok at the risk of sounding totally stupid ...what exactly is prose? I've never really been to the prose forum before but the um err wrong click? of the mouse took me there and I figured while I was there I'd check it out and now I'm confused LOL there were what I'd consider short stories there and then there were letters??? HELPPPPP!!!!

© Copyright 2000 Shan Crider - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2000-07-25 01:18 AM

Hey there! (Let's see a show of hands for those not surprised to see me answering this!)

Ok, first this -

The American Heritage Dictionary defines "Prose" (as is applicable to your question) as - Ordinary speech or writing, without metrical structure.

So basically that leaves out all manners of "form" poetry. But what about free verse? Well, some (be quiet K.)  might argue that free verse has meter. I agree that it may have meter, but by the very nature of the word "free" it's not required.

Does that help?

No, I didn't think it would.

So we've eliminated formed poetry... so let's take it one step farther and eliminate free verse as well. One of the most (usual) distinction of free verse is how it's broken up into relatively small lines. These small lines are formed into...

Stanzas!

That's it!

Prose has stanzas... well... kind of... Actually, prose is (hopefully) broken into Paragraphs! Longer lines, (again hopefully) properly punctuated, which while possibly poetic are more likely to be written in such a way as to match the way we would speak. Odds are you wouldn't hear something along these lines in a normal conversation...

Will said -
quote:
The rude sea grew civil at her song,
And certain stars shot madly from their spheres
To hear the sea-maid's music.

(Can you tell me what that's from??? No, Kamla, Jim and Kess are prohibited from answering!)

Instead, in prose, you might say something more along the lines of...

Chris said -
quote:
From the south blows an aching wind, its humid thrall mirroring my somber mood. The eastern sky sighs at the release of fevered smoldering, while in the west the last ray of brilliance in the world fades behind a stark landscape of shame and degradation. And to the north, nothing save the emerging pale yellow of light which spreads like a cancer over the city, preparing it for another evening of pomp and pride.

And then a paragraph break (preferably by hitting "enter" or "return" twice!) followed by another paragraph.

That is prose. Now needless to say, you're not that limited. Prose can cover anything froma  written "letter" to a "story" (fiction or non-fiction), to an essay, to a plain old' rant. Prose can be about the weather, your mood, aliens, dinosaurs, the old west, a different country, your first love... well, like poetry, prose can be about anything! (Though I ask you keep all the "adult" material where it belongs!!! ) The only difference:

The presentation!

Better?   Hope I've been helpful! If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask... and keep looking in here too. I'm quite sure several people will show up shortly to either argue with me or add to what I've said! It's always interesting and often informative to hear other's opinions!

(Ok, now another show of hands for those not surprised that I wandered all over the place with this "simple" explanation... )

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2000-07-25 06:28 AM

Christopher said - It's any writing that's not poetry...
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
3 posted 2000-07-25 07:56 AM

Burp !

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost;
that is where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them."

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2000-07-25 03:38 PM

...as long as it's not a novel...

Sunny

~~~Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.
Helen Keller ~~~

When you want to be loved, look within...KRJ

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
5 posted 2000-07-25 07:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification you guys   hmmm maybe I'll have to try thr prose thing out sometime... I know I will surely go to read some of it now that I know what it is      
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 2000-07-25 08:51 PM

Yeah, see Nan, I learned brevity from Ron.  
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
7 posted 2000-07-25 10:47 PM

um... Christopher.... That's REALLY funny...
wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
8 posted 2000-07-30 12:23 PM

Well now, this brings up the question I was going to ask.

Where would I post "Prose Poetry" at. I realize that a lot of people don't know the form.  I was just exposed to it at a writers' retreat this past March and was intrigued with it enough to try my hand at it.

So do I post it in the regular poetry forum and have people say that is not poetry . . . or post it in the prose forum, knowing that it is a poetic form and shouldn't be posted there.

Ah decisions, decisions

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
9 posted 2000-07-30 03:26 PM

One of our best prose/poetry writers is a wonderful guy named jbowie.... James posts both in the poetry and prose forums... You'll find him well represented in either place... I think he posts each work on its own merit - where ever it seems to fit best...
wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
10 posted 2000-07-30 10:11 PM

Nan, thanks for the prompt answer, I do appreciate it.  Sounds like a good idea, either/or depending.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Prose????

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary