navwin » Discussion » Q & A » In need of computer wiz
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic In need of computer wiz Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
blueyz75
since 1999-12-28
Posts 138
IL

0 posted 2000-01-22 11:40 AM

I am in desperate need of someone who can work miracles on computers/disks...

I have a CDR that I use with adeptec directCD wizard to save files like you would with a regular floppy.

Given the capacity of the disk, I had 6 years of my life on there, and no where else did I have these files.  

In a second, poof the disk was wiped out damaged something!  I can no longer get anything on there or off there, if its still there.  

Anyone know how to save lost causes?  I will mail it to you with my eternal graditude and even pay you!  HELP SOS!  I really need help here!  I lost everything!

Thanks Kelly

I love the male body, it's better designed than the male mind.---Andrea Newman

© Copyright 2000 Kelly M. Kosa - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-01-22 03:57 PM

Had you saved it as a re-writable only and tried to read it through your regular CD-Rom drive? It won't work until you 'close it'.. burn it so it's no longer re-writable. Try playing it on your CD Burner...or try closing it...

Do you see the 'burned' area when you look at the shiny side? Have you ever been able to 'read' it?

blueyz75
since 1999-12-28
Posts 138
IL
2 posted 2000-01-22 08:36 PM

I wish it were that simple..it was never really closed because it was formated so that you could use it as a floppy saving and reading constantly and I was able to do both till yesterday. My friend informs me the software sucks...nice to know after I saved everything I had on it.  I'm scanning and saving poems again....those I had hard copies of    its a big mess!  

Kel

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2000-01-22 09:54 PM

Kelly, the first thing you should do is try to determine if it's the disc or the drive. I would suggest buying a new blank and trying to write to it, then read from it again. If that works you'll know the drive is good and there's probably not much you can do to save the CD itself. But, if it doesn't work, you can probably assume the drive has gone bad (it happens!) and a new drive might enable you to recover your data.

HTH...

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
4 posted 2000-01-27 11:53 PM

Hi Kelly-

Remember talking to Jason on ICQ? Well, he's sitting here looking over my shoulder as we read your question & all the answers and (being the hightech genius that he is), has these comments.... and I quote, "What Poet deVine is saying is absolutely right and it was the EXACT thing I was going to say and Kelly should put the CD in the CDR/CDRW drive and if the files are still appearing on that drive, burn the CD in CDR format as opposed to CDRW format. It should then be readable in any CD ROM drive. All of this is assuming that what you meant by 'if its still there', is that you can't even SEE the files on the disk. IF you can SEE them, but can't open them, the files themselves are corrupted. Ron's answer was exactly what any troubleshooter would respond with, being that the process of elimination is how to determine the source of the problem and then go about fixing it. "

"HTH"..... Ron... "hope that helps"? new internet lingo... hehe... i LIKE IT!!!

I'll read and respond to your poems soon, Kelly. Thanks for emailing them to me.

-dp

blueyz75
since 1999-12-28
Posts 138
IL
5 posted 2000-01-29 05:20 PM

Thanks guys, I tried alot of things.  Apparently if the computer stalls while the the CDR is in the drive trying to read or write (which it did stall while trying to read) and locks up and requires restarting, it corrupts the data.  When I place it in the rewrite drive, it tells me the data is unrecognizable.  Also tells me that it is unable to be repaired when I try.     Live and learn!

Kelly

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » In need of computer wiz

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary